I've gotta be honest - Mother's Day is not my favorite. I try not to go into it with high expectations...a few touching photos of mom with the children to look back on, and a day with no fighting/contention. That's it. That's all I REALLY ever want. And...I realized today, that aiming low or not, I am still going into it with an expectation - and that leads to disapoinment nearly every time. This morning I picked out cute outfits for the boys (it was P's last day singing with the primary - EVER) and prepped them before church - "I want a few pictures after church for mother's day, please. That's all I want."
I wanted too much. We came home from church and T-man was DONE. He was ready to get out of his Sunday clothes and eat some food! I quickly realized it wasn't happening and told the hubs to "forget it." That it really wasn't worth it. Every time I force the issue, I end up looking back at the pictures and feeling guilty for getting frustrated with my sweet boys over something so silly - I remember "those" moments, and they're captured on film forever.
Mother's Day is hard for me for other reasons too...from the time I was a young girl, all I ever wanted to be was a mother. I played with dolls until I was 12 or 13 years old. I began babysitting when I was 11 and practiced braiding hair, teaching primary songs, cleaning and "mothering." I had it all planned - 4 kids. Just like my mom and sister. 2 girls, 2 boys.
Instead, I had my first amazing son, 3 miscarriages, another amazing son and 3 more miscarriages...the hubs and I have been trying to have another baby for over 5 years now. I'm lucky if I can get pregnant in the first place, let alone carry a child full term. Most of the time I'm fine with it. God's will - I accept it. He has other plans for me. But mother's day is somehow different. It brings up old wounds. And stupid comments - "You know, a son is a son until he finds him a wife, but a daughter's your daughter for the rest of your life." "Maybe Heavenly Father just has other plans for you." "Maybe you should just adopt!" "I had a miscarriage once!" Or my personal favorite to date..."Empty arms can serve." I don't want empty arms! I want to serve by being a MOTHER, like you with your 5 children!
I have been greatly blessed by my two children. I wouldn't trade them for anything in the entire world. I understand that some women don't even get to have one child. My heart goes out to them. And my heart still yearns, even aches at times, for more children. I love being a mother more than I love anything else in the entire world. Some people are not able to have any children at all, and some people have several children and neglect and abuse them - on days like today, life just doesn't seem fair.
There are so many silly things that I have stressed over as a mother...potty training, having a spotless home, dressing my children in perfectly ironed and matching clothes, combing their hair even when all they had was peach fuzz, or P-Ditty climbing into my bed at night. (When was he going to sleep in his OWN bed?!)
Infertility and recurrent pregnancy loss have changed the way I think about a lot of things. I don't really care if my house is perfect or my boys look like they walked out of a magazine shoot. Most of the time they have messy hair and dirty faces. They are little boys. They play in dirt, and they feel confident in their appearances. I go in and get T-man out of bed every single night to snuggle with him. There will MOST DEFINITELY come a time when he wouldn't be caught dead snuggling with his mommy. P-Ditty is about there. My children are slipping through my fingers. On T's 7th birthday I went into the bathroom stall at school and cried my eyes out. I watched him sleeping last night - looked at his perfect little boy face and wanted to cry again.
I don't want my children to grow up. At the same time, I am grateful to have healthy children that ARE growing up! P-Ditty has a heart defect and has already had open heart surgery once and may be facing another one in the future - his life is a miracle in itself. Last night I remembered that all I REALLY HAVE is this moment. Today. And I will treasure it. Who needs a photo when what really matters is in my heart. Forever. And no one can take that away.
Happy Mother's Day to you. As for me, I will be celebrating today - not because its Mother's Day, but because its simply another blessed day.



4 comments:
I hear you Nik! March 29th I had a Hysterectomy. Never wanted that as Doug and I had tried for the last 8years to have another kiddo. I wanted 4 always. Same as you 2 girls, 2 boys. I can't say that I can't even begin to understand the loss you must feel from so many miscarriages. 2 weeks after my surgery an artery tore and i came close to losing my life. I too feel as you do, so grateful for the blessing of motherhood but still wondering if I have 2 other little spirits in heaven that won't be here on earth with me. Hugs to you my friend. I can understand just a little bit!
Yea, you should have MADE them pose for a photo!
But, seriously....
I FEEL YA....
I saw a little one asleep on his mother's shoulder and I literally felt a pang of fresh pain in my heart ~ BAM
I FEEL YA....
Love this post. Thank you for your honesty! You are such a breath of fresh air, Nikki. Your boys are so lucky to have you.
Love the comments you mentioned - especially the "you should just adopt". Some people are so freaking clueless. Can I add my two cents in here..."just adopt" does not "just" happen. It is NOT for the faint of heart and it is NOT an easy road. Is it worth it? Absolutely. If your child is meant to come to you via adoption then it is all worth it but it is not "just adopting". Nor is it an after thought or something that should be considered second best. My children are MY children. Whether they came through me or through an angel...they are mine. I am sure I could rant on about all the other comments you mentioned but I'll leave it at that. :)
You are amazing and I love you. I'd love you even more if you were my neighbor over here! (wink. wink.)
Post a Comment