I have written letters to my sweet boys every year on their birthday since they were born. I had a friend who's mom carried on the same tradition and passed them all on to her daughter when she turned 18. I hope my boys will treasure them as much as I have treasured writing them! (Now...if I can just FIND them all!)
1/26/2012
This is your Happy Birthday letter – over 8 months late…I have spent a lot of time thinking about this, and why I have put it off for so long. I have had a reminder taped to the wall since your special day last April. Perhaps I subconsciously thought that I could prevent your growing older if only I denied it.
I simply cannot believe my baby is 6 years old. Where has the time gone?! It was quite an eventful year. Sending you to Kindergarten was much harder than I imagined. You had already been in preschool 4 days a week, what’s another day? Turns out it’s a LOT. Mostly because of the milestone that kindergarten represented for both of us. I wasn't quite ready to send you off into the world yet - in fact, I'm still regretting that it had to happen! You were so funny at your Kindergarten orientation - you felt so shy you wouldn't come into the room or let go of my leg. But after a stern warning about returning to prescool, you changed your tune in a flash...darnit! :)
We had such a fun year. I really tried hard to make the most of our time together – knowing that in just one year you would be away from me all day. The thought nearly broke my heart, and almost a year later it hasn’t gotten much easier.
We spent our time together baking and delivering cookies to friends and neighbors, going on bike rides, having picnics, reading, playing, watching movies and snuggling, and having weekly play dates with 7 of your good friends. I wouldn’t trade any one of our “days” for anything in the whole world. Thanks for being the best pal any mom could ever ask for.
You enjoyed school quite a bit and grew bored quickly and easily, but played with neighbors Joe and Jake every chance you got. You are still pretty shy, but had your first crush this year on a girl named Jane. I think you have pretty good taste - she's pretty on the outside AND the inside. :)
You LOVE sports (you played basketball, baseball and soccer this year), cars, Scooby Doo, playing outside and being with friends - I'm not sure I've seen a more social boy. You forgive easily, laugh often, and love much. You continue to be the best snuggler in the world, your smile melts my heart, your eyes twinkle, your giggle is music to my ears. My favorite words to hear you say are "I love you so much in the whole wide world than anything." And you do. You are so sweet, affectionate and loving - I wish I could FREEZE you! I cannot even begin to express the depth of my love for you my sweet boy. Please don’t ever forget how much you mean to me – and always will. There is NOTHING you could ever do to change that.
You promise me every day that you’ll love me and snuggle with me forever – even when you’re in college, so don’t forget it…I’m holding you to it.
You mean the world to me and I love you with all my heart.
xoxo
Love,
Mom
(PS - you're my favorite.)
No comments:
Post a Comment