2/5/2012
Dear P,
Happy WAY-belated birthday sweet boy. You finally reached the year that you were unable to count your years w/just your fingers and had to bring toes into the picture. I can't believe it. I swear you were just born yesterday...and here you are 11. (I will write this letter as if it were June 2, since that is what I intended...I think I've been in denial of the fact that you are growing up and hoped that writing this letter would prevent time from moving on.)
I have enjoyed you more than you will ever know until are a father some day. I have no doubt you will be a great one. You love children, and have a sweet and gentle way with them. You also have a gift for loving the elderly. Your Great Grandmothers Lucy McBride and Marie Willey, passed away this year and I was so impressed by your loving, kind, mature example. Grandma Marie had dimentia and didn't recognize any of us, but you loved to visit her. I have to be honest, I was a bit uncomfortable at times, but you never were. Even on her death bed, with tears in your eyes, you lovingly stroked her hair and spoke sweetly to her. You assured her that everything was going to be okay, that you loved her, and that you admired her. You reminisced about visiting her and how beautiful she looked in her blue sweater. And for the first time in over a week, she responded by trying to communicate with you. It was one of the sweetest, most tender moments I have ever experienced. We were all awed by your sweet spirit. What an amazing gift you have my boy. You then went out and led the other alzheimer's patients in an arts and crafts activity. I am still so touched when I think back upon those sweet moments. I am humbled by your example - thank you for that. I hope to be as compassionate and loving as you are someday.
You are one CREATIVE kid! Always dreaming something up. Whether drawing, making 3D models of motor homes out of paper, writing mature and inspiring stories, you never cease to amaze me. I'm so sorry that I get annoyed at times by the messes your imagination sometimes causes. :) I really do admire your talent and I have no doubt that you'll do big things some day. You are intelligent and super duper innovative. You get your love of arts and crafts from me, and your interest in designing and implementing business from your dad. Whether its a math club, a lemonade stand, a gym, a daycare or a carnival - you never run out of amazing ideas. Your talent honestly stuns me sometimes.
This year you started a math club. You love to have the neighbor kids over and play school. And you are so good at it! It makes me smile to think about how clever you are and how the kids enjoy being with you so much. You are quite the entertainer!
You continue to have an amazing singing voice. You have had perfect pitch from the time you were a small baby. Joining the SLChildren's Choir this year was so fun for you. I was so proud when you sang a solo in front of a large crowd at the spring concert in a Cathedral downtown. You sang like an angel my sweet boy.
School was tough for you this year. You are not a fan at all - you would much rather do your own thing. You are so intelligent, but as you told your dad, "I am a non-conformist". Your vocabulary cracks me up! You say words that most adults don't even know. You also have a way of making everyone laugh - "Say!" is one of your favorite sayings this year. "Say! Look at that!" Brings me right back to 1950...wait, I'm not THAT old!
Your testimony is powerful. Every time you get up to the pulpit people listen! I get comments all the time about how amazed and impressed everyone is by your maturity. Sometimes you get a bit bent out of shape because people laugh, but I try to help you understand that they are just tickled by you. It's not every day that a 10 year old gets up and says, "Good morning brothers and sisters. There's something that's been on my mind lately and it really saddens me. A lot of people have been leaving the church, and I feel really bad about it, because I KNOW this church is true." And you really do. You have such a spiritual gift.
Your two best friends this year were Gabe and Sam. Both very nice boys. You enjoyed the ski bus this year and are becoming quite the skiier. Mom and dad really enjoyed being chaperones and spending time with you.
You are inherently sensitive, kind, and always very honest. You have a bit of a tendency to worry about things. You really remind me of myself in so many ways, but gratefully, you are an even better version. :)
I love your curly hair, your freckles and your amazing smile. I love you with all my heart and admire you for the person that you are, and the young man that you are becoming. You are a good example to me every day. You always root for the under dog. You remind me all the time to be less judgemental, use good language, and look on the bright side. You help me be a better person. You can be a bit of a sass pot and a clutter bug, but you wouldn't be my son if you weren't. :) Sometimes its hard for me to let go of the fact that you are not a baby anymore, but that you are becoming a young man. Thank you for being patient with me, and for forgiving me when I screw up. I am new at this parenting thing, but I sure try hard. And one thing is for SURE...I love you with all of my heart. Always have, always will. No matter WHAT.
I have no doubt that you will go far in life and do amazing things. Don't ever forget who you are and what you have the potential to become.
I love you sweet boy.
Love,
mom.
xoxo
(PS - you're my favorite!)
No comments:
Post a Comment