I have been substitute teaching nearly every day for the past month and 1/2. I love teaching, but my true love is being a mom. Sunday night T-man woke up vomiting - several times. Monday morning, P-Ditty's stomach kicked in. Ben volunteered to stay home so that I could work. As I lay in bed, I couldn't shake my uneasiness. We are trying to save enough money for a family trip to S. Africa with P-Ditty's choir next summer, so we need every extra penny we get. At the same time, my most important - and FAVORITE - job is being a mom! My boys are growing up so fast it hurts my heart.
I thought about my youth and sick days spent at home with my mom. She is the ultimate care giver. Loving, compassionate, caring and selfless. I, on the other hand, can be a bit more selfish. Whenever my kids are sick, I often think of my mom and that gets me out of bed or away from whatever I'm doing to comfort and care for my children. I can't thank my mom enough for her sweet example. I hope to be half the mom she is someday.
Later that day, T-man was feeling much better and needed some fresh air. We went for a walk. Rather I walked, and he rode in the Jeep Power Wheels. As we walked, I recalled the day Santa delivered that gift to the boys - 5 years ago. It is hard to believe that much time has passed - it seems like yesterday. My heart grew heavy for a moment, and then I saw the back of my sweet 6 year old's head and watched him navigate his ride with such skill that it tickled my fancy. I realized, TODAY IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE! It's the only day I REALLY have. Today. Right here. Right now. Best make the most of it, because I'll never have it back. I anchored the sentiment in my heart and whispered a prayer of gratitude. And I promised myself I would come right home and record my thoughts.
With all the time and money I've spent on "self-help" , I think the best advice I've ever been given is this....
The 3 most important questions you can ever ask of yourself are:
1. Where am I at?
2. Who am I with?
3. What am I doing?
It's that simple!! Make the most of NOW. It's all we can be certain that we have!
As someone says..."Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called the present." (Who wrote that quote anyway?)

6 comments:
Thanks for recording that--you are a great example! Love, Hol
You and Ben are such great role models! God Bless! Maplevalleygirl aka Kathy McCarthy
What a sweet post. Thank you for reminding me of what's most important too.
Hmmm...I think you may have just answered my prayer!! Thank you for sharing!
What a great post. I am glad you shared it. You are awesome.
Well said. What a treat to hear!!
Post a Comment