Monday, February 13, 2012

be mine...

I love holidays.  The decorations, the activities, and the FOOD.  I'm also a last minute planner...okay, you caught me.  I'm a total procrastinator.  Here are a few of our favorite traditions that are easy to pull off with little to no planning..
2010

Valentine Gingerbread Houses - I find them on clearance after Christmas and save them, but you could easily make them out of gingerbread as well.


The boys each got a mini-sized love basket with a couple of small things from Dollar Tree - have I mentioned how much I love that store?! Cheap - both in terms of cost and quality, but perfect for such an occasion.

 

And for my man - a Giant sized "Love" Basket - most of the things in here were from Dollar Tree.  Plastic valentine goblets, candy, an "I Love You" chocolate bar, the basket, the plastic wrap, even the ribbon!  I also had a few things on hand, like some "Sensual" apothecary lotion, sheet spray and shower gel from Bath and Body Works that I found on clearance, and picked up a bottle of sparkling cider, a "classy little number" I found at Nordstrom Rack and a CD of love songs and a custom cover - made last minute (ON 2/14) by none other than moi, aka the master of putting a last minute idea together that "LOOKS" well planned out.

To make your basket look presentable - just tape the items to one another (with packing tape) and add tissue paper to the bottom to create height/width.

To make things even EASIER for you, here's my list of Love Tunes - Indie Style (aka - similar to most of the songs you hear on my BLOG):

BEN FOLDS: “The Luckiest”
BRIGHT EYES: “First Day of my Life”
COLD PLAY: “X & Y”
DEB TALAN: “How Will He Find Me?”
GRIFFIN HOUSE: “Better Than Love”
INGRID MICHAELSON: “You and I”
IRON AND WINE: “Love Vigilantes”
JOSHUA RADIN: “I’d Rather Be With You”
IMOGEN HEAP AND JOSHUA RADIN: “Only You”
LENKA: “Don’t Let Me Fall”
MICHAEL FRANTI: “Say Hey, I Love You” (this one has been a bit overdone for me…)
MEIKO: “Reasons to Love You”
SCHUYLER FISK AND JOSHUA RADIN: “Paperweight”
THE VIOLET ARCHERS: “You and I”
THE WEEPIES: “All That I Want”
THE ZOMBIES: “The Way I Feel Inside”
BARRY LOUIS POLISAR (FROM THE MOVIE JUNO): “All I Want is You”


The one thing I neglected to do that year was set some clear expectaions w/the hubs...he planned a skiing date.  Not exactly what I had in mind - especially after taking a Botox shot to the vocal cords and not being able to speak above a whisper for 2 weeks, but A+ for effort.  :)

2011

Last year I found myself in the same stressed-out place.  The DAY OF ST. VALENTINE, and no gifts for my boys (all 3 of them.)

Here's what I came up with:


Quick, easy and as always - last minute.  I made this pillow case with fabric I picked up from Walmart, but you could just as easily purchase one and add ribbon/trim (or not).  I used Microsoft Publisher to add a border, text and clip art to my photo, printed it on Xfer paper (from Michael's) and ironed it on.  VOILA!  Now he can take me wherever he goes.  (wink-wink)


I decorated the dining room (again, Thank You Dollar Tree!) and served chicken parmesan and pasta - a family favorite, with cranberry/sprite punch.  I'm sure the family thought I spent WEEKS planning and preparing for this special day.  ;)



Another favorite family tradition.  "Love Boxes".  Inspired by a story from "The Friend" several years ago.  It just so happened that on that particular FHE we lost power and had to make them (and eat dinner) by candle light.  The candle lit dinner has  become a must for our kiddo's.  Anyway - we each decorate a box and fill it with love notes for one another throughout the month (or days leading up to 2/14 if you wait until the last minute like we did this year).  The kids love it.


Opening love boxes and a small gift from mom and dad (courtesy of Walmart, because I'm all about a good bargain.) 


Now, I'd better get my BUTT IN GEAR!  The big day is tomorrow, and as could be expected, I haven't done a darn thing. We'll see what comes to mind.  :)  Any easy last minute ideas?  Do share...

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Sarah Jackson just gave me the idea (not related to valentine's at all) to do a journal with your kids, where they write to you and leave it on your bed and you reply. I'm in the exact same boat as you and think I might do that for my older 2 for Valentine's. We always do heart pancakes and pink milk and I heart attack around their beds. good luck! I love your ideas from the last few years!! Talk about making it look like you planned ahead! ;)