* going sledding, to dinner and a movie every Xmas Eve
* playing Secret Santa to someone in need
* getting new PJ's on Xmas Eve
* reading the Xmas story from the Bible by Candle Light
* all the kids sleeping together (at our house - its a party in mom
and dad's bed! ;)
* no peeking at our goods until mom and dad get the cameras ready
* opening preesents one at a time - from youngest to oldest
Ben and I have added a few traditions of our own.
* A Xmas pagent
* we usually stick to 3 presents each, to represent the 3 gifts from
the Wisemen (This year, because Xmas was going to be perfect,
we went all out.)
* Having Ben's family over for dinner and games on Xmas night.
This year my "perfect Xmas plans" were disrupted. My grandmother, Marie Peterson Willey passed away the week before her 94th birthday (which happens to be December 25 - more to come on that.) My mom had come to visit us for a few days to see Parker's choir program, but with Grandma taking a turn for the worse, she decided to stay. We were lucky enough to have Grandma Sheila at our home for 2 1/2 weeks. Grandma passed away on December 12, and my dad, sister and brother Doug (We missed Rick!) came out for the funeral on December 18. We loved having them, but 22 days of company in a time span of 25 days made it nearly impossible to carry out my wonderful plans. SO . . . I tried cramming 25 days of fun into 4 days. Needless to say, we had a lot of fun, but a lot of stress as well. It's funny how quirky we can be, isn't it?! I have worked so hard the past few years at not trying to be perfect and to have balance, but old habits die hard! I crammed: a playdate for both boys complete with Gingerbread houses, Secret Santa for 3 people in our ward, a wedding and reception for one of my former Young Women/babysitters, treat-making, and who knows what else (its a blur at this point) into a 4 day period. Everything had to be perfect. And it was! (Until . . .)
We got together with the Schiess'(Ben's cute sister and her familia)and went sledding up American Fork Canyon. It was a beautiful day and the kids had a blast. After, we enjoyed lunch at Taco Time and went to see "Dispicable Me". What a great show. It was a perfect start for our perfect Xmas. We love being with our cousins.
Sledding Fun . . .
Aunt Kay and Uncle Jerry invited us over for dinner on Xmas Eve - always delicious, and we played out the nativity. I was Mary, T-man was the Angel Gabriel, and P-Ditty was Joseph. It was anything BUT sexy, but was far from reverent as well. P-Ditty really has a way of making us laugh. We always have a great time at the Gines'. So far, so perfect!
We did Secret Santa as a family for Artie and Sid Severson and Barbara Davis this year. The kids wrapped the presents, and T-man filled out the cards. P-Ditty was so worried that everyone would know the stockings weren't REALLY from Santa because of T-man's writing!
Santa's Workshop . . .
It was a bit late when we got home, but we HAD to follow tradition - whatever the cost!
my little Secret Santa . . .
The boys had SO much fun doorbell ditching! Unfortunately, we were caught, but it was kind of fun for the kids to hear how happy they made everyone.
Santa's helpers . . .
We came home to open Xmas pj's - everything was still perfect up to this point.
drum roll . . .
And then . . .
T-man decided to hate his pj's. I was okay with it at first. And then I realized that my perfect pictures of the perfect Xmas would be ruined if my kids didn't match. And that would be UNTHINKABLE! I proceeded to try and convince him. A very BAD idea. After trying to kindly and gently persuade him, I moved quickly to desparation - I tried guilt, and when that didn't work, I went with demands. He was bawling his face off in bed when I let him know he was "SO getting coal". Rediculous, I know. I moved him into the living room and sat him down to "listen to this nice Xmas story" out of the bible.
peace on earth . . ? Not in this house! Poor Santa.
I suddenly realized that Xmas was RUINED. I had done it now. I went to my room to throw my own crying fit, and when I got a grip, quickly rushed to fix what I had ruined. T-man and I had a nice talk - I apologized and put his little football pj's on him and tucked him snugly into bed. He was soon fast asleep - damage repaired - having visions of sugar plums and everything! I had a really hard time getting over it and forgiving myself, but beating oneself up serves no purpose; rather learn from mistakes and move on. Here is what I RE-learned . . .
expectations = premeditated disappontments
Every year I have this picture in my mind of what Xmas is supposed to look like and I end up feeling disappointed (at least a little bit) year after year. Next year's goal = aim low. Really though . . . simple is good. All that matters is being together. I love my family, and that is PERFECT. (Besides, T-man wore his pj's in the morning for pictures, so that was imperfectly perfect.)
Fast asleep in mom and dad's bed . . .
mr. and mrs . . . feeling better after working through Mrs. Claus' issues. ;)
and to all a good night . . .
2 comments:
I love it. We women are all the same, aren't we?! My "visions" of Christmas Eve were ruined as well this year, but in the end, it really was perfect and happy. Just not always the vision we have in our head. Hugs to you!
Wow what DIDN'T you do Christmas eve? Go girl! WHat fun traditions!!
Post a Comment