Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"opera"

While substituting for 5th grade on Monday I overheard the following conversation in the lunch room:

STUDENT #1: "I was watching opera the other day..."

STUDENT #2: "Opera?! You mean OPRAH?!"

STUDENT #1: "Yeah, whatever. There was a MAN having a baby!"

STUDENT #2: "I saw that too! Can you imagine a man having a baby?!"

I HAD to intervene at that point and tell them that was not a school-appropriate topic. Way to go Oprah-that's tasteful. Freaks me out for my kids to grow up. So much for worrying about the bus rides, now you have to worry about the lunch room, recess, etc.

A friend of mine sent me an email about an ad campaign that will soon be running on the metro's in DC. "Why believe in God? Just be good for goodness sake." WHAT?! Are you KIDDING me?! Apparently we have to be P.C. for the athiests and agnostics at Christmas time too. Give me a BREAK.

Coming down from my soap box and on to a lighter note, here was another fun conversation:

STUDENT #1: "How old are you?"
ME: "35"
STUDENT #1: "35? I thought you were 19!"
ME: "Really?! Wow! You made my day!"
STUDENT #1: "Yeah! I thought you were 19 because you're so SHORT!"
ME=deflated.
STUDENT #2: "How old is she?"
STUDENT #1: "35."
STUDENT #2: "That's older than my MOM!"
ME=eating humble pie.

I LOVE the honesty of children.

14 comments:

Zappe Family said...

That is hilarious! I didn't know you were substituting now. How fun for you. :) Kids are just so brutally honest...you've gotta love them though.

satcy said...

As I am reading this, I turn to Christopher and ask him if this conversation included him. Phew, he said it wasn't. He did enjoy having you as a teacher though. I say we all ban opera!

Shannon said...

I had to ban Oprah a while ago. It was because I got physcially ill with jealousy whenever I watched her favorite things shows.
Anyways....I love the convo about how freakin' old you are.

Terra said...

So scary to think abour where our world is headed! "Why believe in God?" How about why NOT believe in God? And if it makes you feel any better - I think you could pass for 19 any day...even in heels!

TR said...

Are you substituting a lot? Gotta love kids. I sometimes wish everyone could be that unashamedly candid.

Laura said...

So, why not answer the question? Why believe in God?

Scheris said...

WOW, fun news on your substitution. How did that come up? Don't blame oprah, blame the weirdo man for getting the sex change or blame the parents of that kid for having a television. We live TV free and it feels great. I encourage you all to try it. More sleep, more time, closer family, no jealousy of the rich and famous and fancy lifestyles.

The Burtons said...

If you where born a women, shave your head and wear men clothes and get pregnant,you are still a WOMEN having a baby!!! That whole topic bugs me. Those poor confused children. Good thing you don't teach high school, you would just blend in with the kids.

Marisa said...

Reading Adrienne's comment makes the man/baby thing make sense now. I never watch Oprah because I think she's arrogant and shallow, even with all the good she does for people.

Anonymous said...

thumbs down on the ad campaign. seriously, do these people have anything better to do!?!

on a side note, you look pretty hot for a mom, what do those kids know...how was your humble pie? delicious?

also, that is a much better picture of your sister:)

Christy Ivory said...

Hey Nikki...
The story about the pregnant man. Good thing you were there to say what you said. What is this world coming to.
Love the pict's of your family. Not only are they beautiful. Look at their mom.... You don't look a day over 25. Talk to you soon. Oh, not to mention that cute man of yours. We can't leave him out.

The Dillon 6 said...

kids are definitely funny!

Where are you subbing?! Laurel is in 5th grade, you know...

Corey and Lisa said...

That's cool that you sub....I go in often to volunteer and always come home with some funny story...gotta love it!....and I dido the Oprah and behaving "PC" thing too.

Jolley Family said...

Yeah, I agree. I don't get why everyone says it's a man that had a baby! It drives me crazy! It's a woman that had a baby! I wish they would stop giving it so much publicity! It's stupid.....and now she's (he's) pregnant again! I don't care if they want to have a baby, but let's tell the truth!