Wednesday, October 22, 2008
THE DECISION...'08
Thanks for the advice blogging friends! For the record...we adopted Matilda from a "puppy mill" environment. She was almost 2 years old and came with BAD HABITS! Poor thing had been debarked, bred twice and neutered. She is the sweetest thing in the world, but shortly after her arrival on Xmas morning, she began pooping in her crate and basically rolling in it. After that we put her in the laundry room and she had a poop party in there as well! We have tried everything. I asked the veterinarian and she said once they start pooping in their crates, or "dancing" in their poop there isn't much you can do to break them of it. And believe me, we have TRIED! So yes, out of total DESPERATION we moved her bed into the garage this summer. We only let her in if we are right there with her, otherwise she is outside or in the garage. So far, she hasn't played in her poop much since. But if we leave her unattended we often have a mess to come home to...case in point: RUINED CARPET in our guest bedroom! OH, THE JOYS! In retrospect we should have bought a puppy and trained it ourselves! We have decided to let Matilda live with the neighbor. She will be much happier there and Parker can visit her or borrow her ANY TIME he wants to. Ben is going to break it to him, since I never wanted a dog in the first place. I think he'll be sad at first but quickly get over it based on prior conversations. Last week he told Ben we could get rid of her if we bought him a fish tank that wraps around his room like "Rainforest Cafe". When Ben said "no", P-Ditty said, "Tough choices dad! Tough choices!" Little stinker. At least he'll get to see her often. He rarely plays with her and she ends up staying at the neighbor's often anyway. So don't judge me! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
i support you! no judging here
Now that I know more of the story I totally support your decision. Wasn't so sure before but it sounds like this dog is beyond a TLC fix. Good luck.
I think it's a great thing for all involved! Don't feel bad- EVERYONE will be much happier in the end. Besides, it's sounds like you really have tried everything possible. I think it's a great decision.
You can't have poop all over ... and you can't constantly feel bad about the dog alone in the garage. I think it was a good decision too.
The kids will be okay ... they have to learn about life, right?
I'm telling you - the sigh of relief will absolutely resonate through your whole body when the dog is not living at your house. I used to feel really resentful that my mom never let us have pets when we were growing up. Now I get it.
Good for you! We had to make a similar choice when we were in Utah. It was only tough that day or so and then like Shannan said there was a huge sigh of relief. Good luck!!
Wise choice Nik~WISE choice!!!
Get him an outdoor cat! Good-bye mice!
Rotten and Rude!
that's a great compromise! we had a bad dog when i was a little girl and my dad took him out to a farm far away...at least that's what he told us, then my brother asked me why he took the shot gun
hurray! I'd do the same thing, but I'm not a dog person to begin with. :) I admire you for trying one at all! Your kids will understand and it sounds like your dog will be happier, too!
sounds like a good choice! And fish don't have to be debarked...and if you forget to feed them, they can eat their poop. I've seen them do it.
i behind you 110%! good choice:)
Family pets aren't they sooooooo fun!?!?! We (the moms)are the ones who end up doing everything for them and we are the ones who didn't want them in the first place. You must feel so relieved.
Post a Comment