I know...TRUE FRIEND! She came over with her carpet sham-POO-er (pardon the pun) and treated the stains for me.
Anyway...P-Ditty LOVES the dog.

T-Man beats the dog. And Ben & I curse the dog (when she poops).
Our neighbors LOVE the dog! They have been our SAVING GRACE! The kids come and get her nearly every day, take her on walks and on rides to pet smart, buy her clothes, pamper and spoil her rotten and often let her sleep over (in front of the fire-a bit more cozy than the garage?!). She never has accidents at their house. My guess is she is stressed out over here! They will take her if we are willing to give her up and P-Ditty can borrow her any time. The trouble is when we even MENTION it he falls apart. Would I be the CRUELEST mother in the world if I made him get rid of her? She would be happier, Ben and I would be happier, the neighbors would be happier, but my boy would be crushed.
Give me your advice blogging friends! HELP!!!
21 comments:
Wow...that's a tough one. I'm thinking of letting the neighbor have the dog, like you said. It's really sad for P-ditty though. Best of luck!
I am stalking from my sister Shannon's blog, but I have to tell you this. My little middle son does so much better when we have an animal around. I cheered when we lost our cat, she was so mean, but he fell apart. I noticed a huge difference in his behavior, sleeping, etc. Now we have another cat and he is doing better. If this dog really isn't working, but he seems to do well with pets maybe find a pet you can all agree on. I think it can super therapuetic for some kids.
Man, that wasn't funny or clever at all, but it is the truth! Good luck! The dog looks fun.....
It sounds like a new home might be a good idea. I'm so sad that she's so stressed out!
What if P-Ditty got a replacement right away? Not another DOG, but maybe a cool turtle, or a guinnea pig, or a gecko lizard or something? My "animal friend" says that gerbils are actually great pets ~ you could build up the habitat to run all over the house and get one of those cute balls for him/her to run about in...
Remind him that the dog is still "his" but she'll just be living with the neighbors...he can visit her, walk her, maybe even watch her while they go on vacation.
Just don't go the cat route ~ YUCKO.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Yikes -- that is a tough one! We miss you and wish we could take your do for walk too (and kids for that matter). Miss you -- are you still thinking of coming to visit next summer??
My sister was in the exact situation last summer. She has been perp-ing her son that they were going to be giving the dog away so HE started mentioning it in every prayer, "please bless us that we can keep our dog and not have to give her away". It was killing my sister! One day she told him, "I'd love to get you guys a big 'out of ground' pool but there is no way we can with the dog, she would chew it up" to which my nephew replied, "Well...we were going to give her away anyways..." Solution: Dog gone-pool purchased-everyone happy!
I say send her next door! You can always get Parker another pet or a normal dog for that matter!
Thanks for posting that nasty picture of me....just for that I hope Matilda poops on your bed :) j/k
Shalyn...I thought you looked pretty smokin' in that pic.
Niki, we just had to get rid of our pet and I had the same issue with Reese. She doesn't just adore, love and worship cats, it's more like she found her true sister in her cat cookie. But we got rid of the cat cuz it kept biting Josie!
Reese still cries for her every once in a while, but she has a fish that she loves and will get a bird when we move.
That seriously is a DILEMMA! You know, we had Lucy- a horrible dog and after dealing with all her same issues for 9 months, we sent her off to live with someone else. I still have a bit of guilt because Jake really loved that stinkin' dog. Not me. Giving the dog to your neighbors is easier said than done. Of course, as moms, we hate to hurt our children in any kind of way, so maybe try working out a system where she can live with the neighbors, but she comes to visit or stay the night maybe one or two days a week. Chances are, after time, Parker will adjust and be fine- it's just rough right now. Have you tried hiring a trainer???
Seriously-i would get rid of the dog-get a new one or a cat or a hamster or fish-something else that doesn't destroy the house. He'll get over it-our kids did-we couldn't take the cats any longer-it was the best thing! Really-he'll be ok.
The first year is the worst with "accidents" but then small dogs usually get more calm in all ways. I would give it another little while. They are also really good at mirroring your emotions....a hem... :)
Funny, Debi! I think everyone else here knows better than I do. What a difficult situation! Ummm... good luck!
I say "lend it to the neighbors". Pdiddy can go visit and borrow the dog when needed. I mean 3 out of 4 family members don't care for the dog and that isn't good karma for it. Plus, if you have a baby anytime soon, that dog will seriously drive you up a freakin wall and you may kill it in a crazy preggo or postpartum moment. Trust me I know. My dog was on the chopping block so many times in the last year it wasn't even funny. Just think of how less stressed you would be without that dog. The minute our dog dies, I swear we will never get another one as long as I will live.
UR a selfish lady. Deal with it! A boy needs a dog! Now stop having a fit and go clean up some .....CACA!
I say get rid of it! Parker will get over it! That is coming from someone who is trying to get rid of her dogs so take it for what its worth. Maybe bribe him with a cell phone like we did with Chloe! I know good parenting right?
Yes - you would be the meanest mom if you gave her away! Just telling you the truth and P-ditty will thank me for it. :) She is part of the family now! I say she stays! P.S. Jeremy says to send her next door.
OK...don't know where my comment went but I said...Yes, you would be the cruelest mom on the planet by giving her away. She is part of the family and P-ditty would be crushed! However, the garage? Serioulsy, that's where she sleeps? maybe she's mad about her current sleeping arrangement! Love you!
P.S. Jeremy says send her next door!
are you kidding? i think you're totally fine to pass her along...share the love. p-ditty can still see her too. we had two labs growing up and my mom said one day when we came home from school that they went to live on a farm with a nice family. i still don't know what really happened to them. anyway, just play it straight with him..and he'll get over it:)
From one non dog lover to another, hand over the dog. As I have told Jason before Alex will enjoy many pets but it will be at the neighbors house. Good Luck!
Nice I like that fact that you had shalyn cleaning up the dog poop that is awsome! She wont even change my kids butts how did you pull that one off...o wait you are marsha I almost forgot!
No! I went thru 3 dogs before I got my little Jack and he's been the best dog. I can't say it's much easier though with a puppy. Our first attempt was a shelter dog who they told us was 2 years old. Not so, we came home and he would walk down the hall (thank goodness I had all wood floors!) and the poop would fall out his butt! We finally had to put him down when they told us he was really old and falling apart! Then we tried a puppy, that didn't work out and I gave him away, the lady who took him called me 2 weeks later and said he was finally potty trained!! Then we got our little Sadie. She was still struggling w/potty issues when Craig ran her over leaving our driveway. Very traumatic! We finally got Jack, the maltese and after 9 months, he finally was trained and I can let him out of my sight. He's the greatest dog now but I hate the puppy potty training stage! Hope it all works out! Maybe he'll get settled over there and then you can have sleepovers at your house w/o accidents! Suzy told me about the bark thing, that is so sad!!
Post a Comment