We finally arrived at our hotel, "The Park". It was very comfortable, with an Austin Powers flair to it. Here are Robert and Aaron in the lobby.
The next morning we met for breakfast at "The Mist". LtoR: Robert, John (coach), Aaron, Me, Johnny K. (coach) and Ginny.
After breakfast we had our first meeting and reviewed the itinerary for our journey.
John & John's tuk-tuk broke down after going through a large puddle (more like a small pond...haha), so our driver gave him a push into town...Welcome to India!
This is the Lotus Temple (Bahá’í faith).
The temple has 9 sides, and 9 pools surrounding it. 9 is a significant number to the the Bahá’í faith, althought I don't remember why!?
The children and women wear such beautiful, brightly colored clothes.
This little girl was the sweetest thing! She was so eloquent and came right up and introduced herself to me. After we took this picture, we were solicited by a bunch of other kids "One photo please! One photo please!" They loved having their pictures taken and seeing them on the preview screen.
At one point a little girl asked me for "chewing gum". I took my pack out and it was gone in a matter of about 15 seconds. Johnny K. took his pack out and they went through it just as fast! As we left the temple grounds, a small parade of children followed us out, 3 boys asking over and over for "one more photo", and a group of girls bringing me flowers twice. I felt so special!
Here are some of their basic beliefs:
- abandonment of all forms of prejudice
- assurance to women of full equality of opportunity with men
- recognition of the unity and relativity of religious truth
- the elimination of extremes of poverty and wealth
- the realization of universal education
- the responsibility of each person to independently search for truth
- the establishment of a global commonwealth of nations
- recognition that true religion is in harmony with reason and the pursuit of scientific knowledge
We headed to "Fab India" next to do some shopping. I wished I had had more time. The deals were amazing!
It was a fun day. Here is a small snippet from my journal: "The poverty here is unfathomable-people doing road construction in flip-flops and shorts, men taking a leak in plain site, women balancing baskets on their heads, tons of people sleeping in the median, dirt and garbage and debris everywhere-and yet the people seem content and peacful. They appear very clean and wear beautiful clothing. They are absolutely gorgeous people. The temple was very busy-we had to remove our shoes before entering and they requested that everyone maintain sience upon entry. It was a reverent and spiritual experience. I prayed and felt close to Heavenly Father. I always knew He loved ALL of His children, but I could really FEEL it. I had a deep desire to explore the world and see all of His beautiful creations-places AND people."
13 comments:
Awesome! I didn't picture India so green. Hurry, I'm ready for days 3, 4, 5, etc.!
Wow I can't wait to hear more about your trip. It sounds like it was an adventure of a lifetime.
Amazing. Can't wait to hear the rest...
looking forward to hearing the continued story of your journey - sounds absolutely amazing.
simply amazing. And you're right about the clothes...the colors are stunning!!
Your last paragraph is totally what I saw in Africa as well. Poverty that is unimaginable to us! But.....most everyone was smiling all the time. They'd see us driving thru their village and run out to wave, always so happy to see us! It sure changes your perspective on things! I'm so glad things went so well and that you came away with what you wanted to!! Can't wait to hear more!
I agree with Holly. It's funny how people across the world are so alike.
It was so fun to meet you! You are so funny. Glad to know I have so cool cousins!!! Your boys are so cute. You will have to come to san diego and visit soon. I am glad that you made it back safely you look like you had a fun time. See you soon.
I had that song stuck in my head all day after your last blog entry, now I'm going to have it stuck in my head today... not that that's a bad thing, I always wondered what kind of experience Alanis had to write that song and I appreciate her honesty in all her songs. Anyway, I'm so glad you're blogging your trip in pieces because I'll get to read a detailed account but you won't have to explain the whole thing to me individually and everyone else who wants to know. Although of course I still want to talk with you about it to some extent! I didn't realize the Bahai faith was big enough in India to have a temple like that, I always thought it was an American intellectual thing copying Eastern religions. But it's interesting how so many of their beliefs happily coexist with ours, except for the religious relativity. And I'm certainly glad that you made it back safe and sound and happy.
Love is a universal language and I think children are too. They are magical even if you can't understand what they are saying you can feel it. Going to another country like that makes you realize how much excess we have. It almost makes you sick.
I so happy you did this so I can live vicariously through you.
Wow. LOVE the pics! Can't wait to hear about it in person!! What an experience of a lifetime!
amazing! what a priceless experience. i think one of the greatest gifts with traveling is how clear it is at how wonderful people are all around the world. don't we all pretty much want the same thing? love your pictures of such a magical country.
What an amazing experience. You look so at peace in the pictures. Can't wait to hear more.
Post a Comment