Monday, June 30, 2008

Thank You India...

I'm back. Thank you for all of the phone calls and emails. I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to any of you. I'm still recovering from a LONG journey home. I had an amazing experience that I can't put into words. It was the hardest, best thing I have ever done. Thanks for the support, encouragement, and prayers.

















Thank You India...

How bout getting off of these antibiotics
How bout stopping eating when I'm full up
How bout them transparent dangling carrots
How bout that ever elusive kudo

Thank you India
Thank you terror
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty
Thank you consequence
Thank you thank you silence

How bout me not blaming you for everything
How bout me enjoying the moment for once
How bout how good it feels to finally forgive you
How bout grieving it all one at a time

Thank you India
Thank you terror
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty
Thank you consequence
Thank you thank you silence

The moment I let go of it was
The moment I got more than I could handle
The moment I jumped off of it was
The moment I touched down

How bout no longer being masochistic
How bout remembering your divinity
How bout unabashedly bawling your eyes out
How bout not equating death with stopping

Thank you India
Thank you providence
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you nothingness
Thank you clarity
Thank you thank you silence

26 comments:

Danielle Weathers said...

Welcome back! What beautiful pictures!! Can't wait to hear about your journey.

Zappe Family said...

Welcome home! Glad you made it safe and sound!

Christy said...

Great pics I can't wait to see more!

debi said...

Was trying to place the quote from Melain. Heard this song on the radio and had my lightbulb moment. Love that you are home safe,admittedly worried you would harmed, but only would share that post trip. :) Much love, many blessings and start writing now while it is present....deb

Schiess Clan said...

Nik,

WELCOME HOME! I am sure you had an amazing experience. Great photos, I could see joy in the people's faces. Loved the song... loved the lyrics even more.

the family thorpe said...

Niki!
I have been waiting for your post!
Hooray you did it and so glad you are back! You know how I feel about Alanis and this is my second favorite song of hers! Wow, could it be more fitting? I got chills looking at all the pictures! Can't wait to hear all about it. Hope it hasn't been too hard coming back to reality.
Love you!
Beck

Mommy Shar said...

Welcome home... I can't wait to hear all about your trip. Ahhh I love Alanis!

HKM said...

Hellloooooo Cuzn!

That little boy in the turquoise shirt looks like Tanner! ;-) Did you smuggle him in?
Can't wait to get your report! Gr8 pix!
LY, HkM

Wendy said...

Hey that little boy looks like Tanner! Glad you're back. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

Melissa said...

I hear you made quick friends with the monkies:) I knew you would love it...but I am sure you enjoyed it more than you'll ever be able to explain! Your pix look great of course! Can't wait to hear all about it at the party. Welcome home!

Carson Calderwood said...

Glad you had a good time. Pix are great.

Ilene said...

Niki ~ I am Melissa’s Mom and I wrote you about India before you left. Melissa led me to your Blog to see your pictures. Because I was there a year ago, I enjoyed them so much. Were you able to see the Taj? Aren’t the women beautiful? Dressed in their Orange, Purple and Pink? They are jewels in the midst of poverty. The landscape isn’t the most beautiful and the poverty is so hard to see, but it’s a place that you will always say you were glad to experience. Your pictures are amazing! You captured what I enjoyed the most ~ the people. Ilene Palmer

Unknown said...

Welcome home! Those pictures are beautiful! Absolutely stunning! What an experience. Can't wait to hear more...hint, hint! Love you!

Leslie Behunin said...

I loved the picture of the two women sitting together (one nursing a baby) Such beautiful faces and smiles! So genuine! I think the clothes the women wear are beautiful with the bright colors! (they also look cool and comfortable, too)

Sarah J. said...

Yeah!!! You're home! The pictures are beautiful but I'm sure the pictures in your head are even more amazing. Here's to you for conquering your fear and coming home a better YOU!

Photo Amy said...

Glad you made it back! ;) Can't wait to see more pictures. These look great.

Shaunie said...

Amazing pictures!

The Dillon 6 said...

I KNEW your pictures would be an amazing story! I'm looking forward to you having a big ol' party to tell everyone about it.

I hope you have a great time coming back home and getting back into those boys!!

See you at Cub Day Camp? ;)

ps -- I also thought think that boy is T's doppelganger. WOW!!

Daina Crowell said...

So did you swipe these pics from National Geographic? They are GORGEOUS Niki! Great job. Congrats on a successful journey! I can't wait to hear all the stories!

TR said...

Welcome back! I knew you could do it! What an incredible experience!! it's an amazing world out there. Did you take all those pics? They're great! Can't wait to see ya'll in a few wks!

Charmayne said...

Awesome Nikki! Looked at all of your 563 photos on Shutterfly. Can I tell you how sad it made me. It all looks so much like where I served my mission~The Philippines. The living conditions are far from adequate yet the people are so so special that you forget how you once used to live. We take so much for granted here in the US. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful and memorable experience.

Katie said...

Welcome home! What fantastic photos! I am so happy to hear that it was such a great experience. And more and more meaning will seep out of it as time goes on.

P.S. There won't be a Rainier climb this summer but probably next summer.

Sharie McCraney said...

I missed you nik even though we live so far away. It worried me to have you that far away. Maybe I should go. I'm glad your safe. Can't wait to talk.

Unknown said...

I've been waiting for those pictures! I'm dying to talk! We're in Reno, I'll call you next week~!

Jolley Family said...

I knew you'd make it back safe.....so glad things went well and your home. Been excited to hear all about it! The photos are amazing...my dad would be impressed! Can't wait to hear all about it.

amy germer said...

You are awesome! Beautiful pictures, can't wait to hear (read) all about it.