Sunday, July 6, 2008

India-Day 3...

We boarded an air conditioned bus at 5:00 a.m. headed for Ranikhet. We saw some INTERESTING things to say the least-among them a naked holy man followed by a small group of faithful followers. Aaron pointed out that he could REALLY use a wax...haha!

The drive took about 13 hours and was one of the LONGEST rides of my life. They drive VERY differently in India and until I got into the "groove" it really stressed me out. Tons of honking and passing on the wrong side of the road while going around curves-very different than driving here in the US. The driver would honk and then a man in the passenger seat would say "GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!" It was pretty crazy. However, after coming home Ben did some research and you are about 6 times more likely to die in a car wreck in the United States than you are in India. They have a "flow" that works! I didn't see one display of "road rage". They work together and help each other out with honks and gestures (nice ones)-pretty cool once you let go and go with the flow. Traffic was INSANE...

Does this wiring meet code? Bamboo Scaffolding...

There are TONS of vespas in India. This is one of about 3 women drivers we saw the entire trip. It is not uncommon to see a family of 5 on a vespa-with no helmets. A wedding procession. An Indian temple-with a statue of an idol out front.

Ganesh...
Hanuman...
Women working in the rice fields-they work in the fields all day, every day. Can you IMAGINE the back pain?
Terraced hillsides-they have been farming this way for centuries. Talk about a lot of WORK!

A look at the road we traveled-can you see why we were all pretty car sick? Our hotel in Ranikhet-my room is the one on the top R. The morning after we arrived our hotel door burst open at about 5 a.m. and a MONKEY hopped inside and stole two bananas before exiting. I didn't have my contacts in and could tell it was a monkey, but couldn't see what he was grabbing. My only thought was "That thing is NOT going to leave here with my passport." I clapped and yelled at it and it quickly exited. I later learned that the monkeys can be pretty aggressive and you aren't supposed to make eye contact at all. Aaron came in our room laughing hysterically. He had been watching the monkey and witnessed the whole thing.
Courtyard at our hotel. John & I saw a fox here the first night!

From my journal: "I pretty much HATED this afternoon. I was stuck in a bus for 13 hours-totally car sick, sad, homesick and terrified. The driving here is INSANE-and all of the chaos on a very steep mountain side. I miss my kids, I miss home-I want to be there and hate that I'm here. I know I'm not alone-Heavenly Father is with me, and for that I am eternally grateful."

9 comments:

Wendy said...

Very cool. Seriously, how can they worship idols like that???

Anonymous said...

Dude you went to India!? That's so awsome! I was checking out your other posts and you have some pretty sweet picts. nice photography skills!

BTW were live in Washington. I never really thought I would come back and live here after college, but here we are. crazy, huh? we love it!

TR said...

Ck out that wedding procession. that's something else! The driving is insane, I agree. At least that's what it was like in Thailand, which is pretty much the same.

Jolley Family said...

Leave it to Aaron, our fashion guru and stylish guy to notice someone needing a wax job. We love Aaron. Can't think of any other guy I'd rather travel with! I totally know what you mean about the driving. I can't tell you how many times Suzy squeezed my leg when we were driving. Although, that road looks a bit scarier than the ones we were on and our longest ride was 8-9 hours (no bathroom break!). I'll never forget the days we spent traveling a short distance for so many hours! Crazy drivers doesn't quite cover it! That is so funny about the monkey!

Melain said...

I can't remember the last time a monkey burst in on me while I was sleeping. RUDE. Too bad Aaron didn't get a picture of THAT. LOL!

Kristen said...

Niki,
This is so cool. I love reading your blog and hearing about you and your cute family. If you come to Europe, make a stop in Paris to see us.

satcy said...

Okay, the monkey thing totally cracked me up. Who would have thought?? Love the pictures. Thanks for giving details about your trip.

debi said...

Vicarious Traveling via Niki will be my destination of choice from now on.

amy germer said...

Wow! I love the monkey story.