Tuesday, July 8, 2008

INDIA-days 4-5

We had one layover day in Ranikhet where we did some coursework and packing and preparing for our trek. Journal Excerpt: "Right now I am not 100% committed to this journey. I want to back out and stay in Ranikhet. I feel like this is all more than I can bear. I want to quit and go home. My body, mind and Spirit are fatigued. I miss my famiy and I miss my home. I feel uncertain and very vulnerable. I read my scriptures this morning and focused my study on anxiety, worry, trouble, fear, courage and faith and I feel somewhat better. I know the Lord loves me and is here to bless me if I just let go and let Him in. He has promised me through Priesthood power and personal prayer that this was the right thing to do, and that He would bless and protect me. I need not fear, but will look to Him with faith (action) and a perfect brightness of hope. I WILL return home in 2 weeks to see my beautiful family I love the Lord and know He loves me too."

The next day we took a 5 hour Jeep ride to Loharkhet where we unloaded our bags with the mule porters. Our hotel in Ranikhet is the largest building in the picture below (upper L).Hungry?
Women working in the terraces.
Mule Porters...
The road to Loharkhet.
Bridge...everyone got out and walked except for Ginny, Aaron and the Jeep drivers.

Time for new tires? Don't worry-they have already been retreaded once and the Jeep only had 400,000 km on it (apprx. 250k miles). I have to say, except for the condition of the Jeeps, I felt completely safe with our drivers. They have been driving this road for over 7 years and were very capable. Beautiful faces on the trail...


Our first camp site-Dhakuri-Home Sweet Home...I actually grew to like the Asian style toilets better than the Western style ones. They were cleaner and very convenient, AND you get a great thigh work out at the same time...BONUS! I don't think I can convince Ben to switch ours out at home though. This was basically a place to store our bags, use the restroom and have meetings. We slept in tents because Kuty (our guide) said there were bed bugs here. That was enough for me! Robert-the next morning.
Journal Entry: "Once I decided to go on the Jeep ride, I had to give up control and put it in Heavenly Father's hands. We hiked today for about 5 hours. The scenery is beautiful, but I find myself longing for home and feel a great deal of anxiety when I think about how FAR I am from home-10 days-I can't wait! It's pouring rain. I love and miss my family. Today we saw a Langur Monkey (large-black face and white beards), mountain goats, cows, mules and lots of wild dogs."

5 comments:

Terra said...

I am so impressed with how great you did in India! I have loved reading your truthful, heart felt journal entries, too. Amazing pictures of a beautiful country! Thanks for sharing!

Wendy said...

I'm loving your travelogue. Great pictures and it's all really interesting.

Sharie McCraney said...

I'm so impressed that you did this. I can't even handle the thought of it.

amy germer said...

Thank you for sharing this with us, I love your journal entries. Thanks for the"squatters" memory. They have those in Bulgaria, but not as clean.

Brooke said...

I'm so glad you found our blog. I'm in WA for a little bit longer. We should hook up for dinner or something! Blaire said she emailed you... we'd love to see you and your family.

PS Love the blog. I just spent over and hour catching up on your most recent developments. You're amazing:)