Wednesday, July 9, 2008

INDIA-Day 6-7...

Dhakuri campsite-JM's photo...Coursework-JM's photo...Sunrise-JM's photo...JOURNAL ENTRY (before leaving camp): "I've designated today as "Happy Thoughts Day". I'm going to focus on all of the things I am grateful for and strive to have a positive attitude. It's okay for me to miss home & miss my family, AND its okay to enjoy the journey as well."

On the trail (first river crossing) - JM's photo...Hiking in the rain-JM's photo...My first thought: "Hiking with UMBRELLA'S...are you KIDDING me?" Followed by: "Maybe its NOT such a bad idea." It was POURING. JM's photo... JM's photo...That afternoon we arrived in Khati...my favorite village of the whole trip. Pictured below are (L to R) Kutty (our guide), Divan (He was an AMAZING guy-helped coordinate the trek and cooked most of our meals for us. You've never met a HAPPIER person. He works in Goa-a tourist spot in Southern India-and was home for a break.), mule porter, and his son (At 13 years old he already has a job in Delhi-about an 18 hour drive from home-taking care of an elderly man after school every day.). This is Divan's house. Their previous home burned down and this one is under construction. He had us in for cookies and coffee-don't worry...I didn't partake. :) JM's photo... L to R: Aaron, me, Robert, Johnny K., Ginny and Kutty. JM's photo... Lunchtime-Johnny K., me, Ginny, Robert, Aaron & Kutty. JM's photo...Hanging with the village kids-by far my favorite thing to do JM's photo...Ginny, Johnny K., Robert, Aaron, Kutty, me, Divan, porter's son-JM's photo...JM's photo...
Johnny Mac & Johnny K. (our AWESOME coaches...) Ginny's photo... Dinner-me, Aaron, Robert, Ginny & Johnny K. - JM's photo...As you've probably already noticed from my posts, each day seemed like about 3...it amazing how much SLOWER time goes when you don't have distractions like the computer, the telephone, KIDS, laundry, cleaning, etc.

THE NEXT MORNING...
JOURNAL ENTRY: "It's amazing what a positive attitude can do! I had a great day-hiking in some serious rain-a beautiful trail filled with lush vegetation, rivers, waterfalls and terraced gardens. It was breathtaking. We slept in a lovely village and actually got to spend the night indoors. I find the Indian squat toilets more appealing than the western style. The children here are so beautiful-their eyes are captivating. I found myself moved to tears whenever I looked deeply into their eyes or saw a mother with her baby clinging to her back. I can't imagine giving birth and raising children in these conditions. The children are very polite and greet us with "Namaste". Robert & I went for a walk in the village. All of the children were setting about to do their daily tasks-some fetching water, some herding cattle, some heading to the fields to plow. We were just informed that our route has been changed. Some of the bridges we were to cross have been washed out and are unsafe. We will be staying in this beautiful village one more night & then heading on a different path. I am disappointed that we will not meet the holy man "Baba Ji", but grateful that our instructors are putting our safety first and foremost."





One of the cool, unique plants that grows in the Himalayas...Another cool, and yet not-so-unique plant that grows in the Himalayas...recognize it? I pressed a couple of leaves in my journal. Don't worry, I'm not going to smoke it, I'm going to laminate it for a bookmark. Something to use in my scriptures!? Ha-ha.




The "Upper Temple". The caste system is still in effect in India-there were two temples in Khati-and upper one and a lower one.
Ginny & I took a hike on our layover day. It was beautiful! Ginny's photo...Ginny's photo...

JOURNAL ENTRY: "It has been almost one week since I left home-it's hard to believe. In some ways it feels like I just left, but in a BIGGER way, it feels like I've been here for a LONG time. I miss my family and wonder what they are up to at home. I love my children with all of my heart and there is nowhere I'd rather be than home with them each day. I hope they're safe and I hope they know how much I love them and how much I miss them."

9 comments:

Corey and Lisa said...

Are you serious about the squatting thing?? Looks like you had quite an adventure!

Wendy said...

These posts are becoming the highlight of my day! Love reading 'em!

Sharie McCraney said...

Thanks Nik. Love ya

Zappe Family said...

Awesome shots Niki! I've loved reading your journal posts!

Bennett Family said...

Thx Jill! The 1st half of the pix are actually my coach's, the 2nd half are mine. :)

And yes, Lisa, I am TOTALLY serious about the squatters-more sanitary and you get exercise too! :) They do smell bad, however.

The Dillon 6 said...

DANG! This is WAY more fun than I thought it would be! What amazing journey. It took me a minute to figure out the toilet...not convinced it would be better. ;)

Melain said...

What beautiful people they are. It looks like such a different world.

I will PAY you to use that as a scripture bookmark! LOL! That would make my whole week.

debi said...

NB Although the mountains are stunning, it is the beauty of the people you have photographed that stays with me.

amy germer said...

Wow, you have really made me think about my life and how I can improve and learn to be happy.