Friday, May 30, 2008

flashback friday...

I've been practicing the art of GRATITUDE a lot these days! :) It's the only thing that is getting me through! Here is my latest FAVORITE song, by Kenneth Cope, along with some pictures of pditty-he's going to turn 8 on Monday and has chosen to be baptised. We are so proud of him. It's hard to believe it, but it has been 4 years since his open heart surgery. It was a horrible, horrible time for me. At the time, 6 cardilogists had recommended surgery, and 6 had recommended postponing it, so they left it up to us to decide. It was the most agonizing decision I hope to ever have to make. We prayed, researched, fasted, and prayed some more and felt really good about going through with it. The day came and we said our goodbyes. 30 minutes later we received a page and the nurse told us to report to recovery immediately. I thought that for sure we had lost him. They had hit his artery instead of a vein and pulled him out of surgery. We had to postpone it until the next week. I thought for sure it was a sign and that Heavenly Father was giving us one last chance to change our minds. After MORE prayer, we decided to go with our original plan. It was 10 TIMES harder to pass him over the second time-I honestly felt in my heart that I would never see him again in this lifetime, but I knew that it was the right thing to do. Thankfully, he did great and it was a good thing we had gone ahead with it because it was much more severe than the doctors could tell by the echo! I think what happened was a test of my faith-was I REALLY willing to put my trust in Heavenly Father and submit to His will? I wouldn't have even remembered his surgery anniversary if another cardiology parent hadn't reminded me through email. I hardly even notice the scar on his chest anymore. My point is, that only after EVERYTING we can do, will the Lord give us help and hope and healing. Words cannot say how much I love my children and how GRATEFUL I am to have the priveledge of raising my children. They have taught me more than I will ever teach them. I am grateful for all of the WONDERFUL blessings I have in my life. This song makes me cry every time I hear it...

Every evening sky, an invitation

To trace the patterned stars

And early in July, a celebration

For freedom that is ours

And I notice You

In children's games

In those who watch them from the shade

Every drop of sun is full of fun and wonder

You are Summer


And even when the trees have just surrendered

To the harvest time

Forfeiting their leaves in late September

And sending us inside

Still I notice you

When change begins

And I am braced for colder winds

I will offer thanks for what has been and what's to come

You are autumn

And everything in time and under Heaven

Finally falls asleep

Wrapped in blankets white, all creation

Shivers underneathe

And still I notice You

When branches crack

And in my breath on frosted glass

Even now in death,

You open doors for life to enter

You are winter

And everything that's new has bravely surfaced

Teaching us to breathe

What was frozen through is newly purposed

Turning all things green

So it is with You

And how You make me new

With every season's change

And so it will be

As You are re-creating me

Summer, autumn, winter, spring




He REALLY IS re-creating ME!!!

6 comments:

Schiess Clan said...

What a great post Niki, I remember that time and how scary it was. I can only imagine how scary it was fo ryou. You are a great mom with two (or three) :) awesome boys! I hope this weekend goes well, we are so proud of Parker and hope it goes well.

Love you!
Linds

Kerry said...

Beautiful boy! Beautiful post! I seriously cannot imagine having to turn my child over for an operation like that. What an agonizing decision to make! I struggle to decide even simple things.

Zappe Family said...

Wonderful post about your sweetie soon-to-be baptized boy! Wow...I can't even imagine going through something as stressful as that situation with Parker. I believe it has made you so strong though...and...I admire YOU!

Leslie Behunin said...

He's your Miracle Baby! Those are some darling pictures of him, too!

The Dillon 6 said...

I just can't imagine ever going through something so horrible and traumatic with my kids. A great testimony of faith and love. Thanks for sharing it. (Malcolm gets baptized ON his birthday, next Saturday ~ YEAH!!!!)

Collings said...

Nice...we love that song too~Dave loves Kenneth Cope (he has an Eliza and Eden too:)
We love Paker and want to be there for him at his baptism.