"Nanda Devi" Himalaya's, India
"The Adventuress"As many of you know, I have been working with a therapist for the past 3+ years to become the BEST ME that I can be. Specifically, working on overcoming my anxiety. I have learned & grown SO much that I've turned into a "therapy junkie". In October, Ben started working with a "life coach" that his boss hooked him up with. I'll be honest, I was SUPER irritated at first because it required him being gone MORE for training modules, including a 4 days stint on a 100-year old schooner "The Adventuress". However, I soon discovered that he was learning and growing as a husband, father and individual, by leaps and bounds. He kept saying "I wish you could have this experience!"
Soon after, he made arrangements for me to meet with his coach and thus began MY personal journey! I have been working with John for the past couple of months and had the opportunity to sail on the Adventuress myself last week for 2 days. It was AMAZING! I challenged many of my fears and worked hard to let go of control! (I've learned that my desire to be "in control" is at the root of much of my anxiety. I FEAR everyting I can't CONTROL--Health issues, death, flying in airplanes, being betrayed, etc.) I even climbed the tall rope ladder to the top of the mast with NO HARNESS! I enjoyed my trip so much that I signed a contract today for a trip to India this summer! I will be hiking in the Himalaya's for 14 days and receiving coaching along with 10 other students that I don't know. Anyone that knows me, also knows that this is a HUGE stretch for me! Not only do I hate flying, I have never been more than a few hours from my children, or out of the West! The furthest I have ever ventured is Nova Scotia and Hawaii. I am SO excited to face my fears and hopefully have the experience of a lifetime!
After my sailing trip I was able to spend an extra night in Port Townsend ALONE! It was a MUCH needed break! I ate alone, took a long, hot bath, did some journaling and reflecting on my progress thus far, and managed to break out a pencil and some paper and DRAW! Something I used to really enjoy, but haven't done for over 10 years. I have been trying to work on something "creative" every month this year. It has been a nice outlet for me. I have wanted to attempt a picture of the Savior my whole life, but never had the courage because I was afraid I would get super frustrated and swear...YIKES! How can you SWEAR when you're drawing something of such a sacred nature?! Well, I finally attempted it. It's not perfect, but not bad for an hour in a hotel room after a 10 year drawing drout.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more about my journey...I love to share! Sorry if it gets monotonous.
Here are some more of the projects I've tackled in 2008...
I'm looking forward to dusting the cobwebs off the ol' guitar next!
12 comments:
WOW! Those are all amazing but I was the one that impressed me the most was your drawing of the Savior. I had no idea you could even draw and you did such an amazing job! I can't wait to see what you create in April!! :)
you are freekin' awesome !!!
Wow, Niki you are amazing. You have so much to share with the world. Your Talants are many.
Okay, you are so stinkin creative and talented! I had no idea you drew, your picture is really gorgeous! The apron is SO adorable and I am proud to say that the jewelry pictured now rests in MY jewelry box!
you inspire me. i can't believe all these talents you have. i am trying to rack my brain.. for things i can dust off. you are amazing and thank you for sharing your talents.
Wow! Hidden talents! I had no idea you were an artist! (And don't say you aren't bc you are!!) I can draw stick figures and even those are bad!
You seriously inspire me! Way to go. We are planning a trip to India this December so I may need to give you a call and get any info you and Ben have to offer!
That drawing is wonderful Niki. I admire your willingness to share such personal adventures so openly! Thanks.
ho-ly cow! That's a whole lot for one blog entry to handle. Way to grab hold of life and LIVE. Great talents you have, too. I can see things in my head, but the ideas get lost somewhere between my mind's eye and my hands. 2008 will be a BANNER year fo YOU!
I could tell from our short time spent with you that you were very talented. The eyes on your picture are amazing, you inspire me. Thanks for sharing your journey.
I haven't been commenting much lately (so stinking busy) but I HAD to comment on this one. I am so proud of you for all your hard work and going out of your comfort zone. And I didn't know you could draw either! What a wonderful but intimidating thing to draw. I wish I could go to India with you (but then it wouldn't be the same for you... so I guess I just wish I could do the same thing separately)! I can't wait to hear all about it!
Nik~I share your anxiety issue. I've been on pills for almost 6 years now to deal with it. Maybe I should take up the counseling thing again. It's just hard to find the "right one" for me ya know. I really admire your willingness to get out there and change. Good for you~you go girl!
Post a Comment