Thursday, December 27, 2007

all in the name of love...

i had a thought one day...
"I LIKE MY CLEAN HOUSE WAYYYYY MORE THAN I WOULD LIKE A DOG.
I LIKE MY CHILDREN WAYYYY MORE THAN I LOVE MY CLEAN HOUSE."

that led to this...
i still can't believe it. i really was starting to love the little thing until she pooped twice and peed in the house. all i can say i "here we go....." and "what have i done?" and "too late now".




more Christmas fun...

p-ditty picked this "PERFECT" mechanical bird (noise activated even) for Ben's Xmas gift. he saw it in a lady's cart at biglots and HAD to have it! he spent $7 of his hard-earned allowance on it. i think its PERFECT for ben's desk at work!

opening Xmas pjs (Christmas Eve)

"uh...thx Santa, but i prefer my old trike~!"
"that's MUCH better!"

13 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

kids crack me up! You find something that makes you think, "Oh YES! They'll LOVE this!" and they look at it like, "hmmm...not quite what I had in mind..."

Good luck with the Puppy? Is it a puppy (v. a grown dog)? If so, I highly recommend crate-training it...the smallest crate you can find for him/her. They won't pee/poo in a space they sleep in. Plus, they live the cave'ish feeling they get...reminds them of their ancestors whose packs slept in caves. :)

The Dillon 6 said...

oops -- meant to add:

and I'm sure you wanted unsolicited advice. For all I know, you grew up on a puppy-farm and are the world's leading professional puppy-raiser...

cori said...

oh nikki. i shed a tear.

you = awesome mom.
me = crappy mom.

i couldn't do it. i am sure your kids will love love the puppy.

Bennett Family said...

nope melissa, i don't have a CLUE when it comes to dog training. do you leave it in the crate except to go to the bathroom? she is 1.5 and is already having accidents.
thx!

Leslie Behunin said...

I'm so curious...how did you give it to them??? I would love to hear how you did it and I wish I could have seen their little faces! It had to have been priceless!

The Burtons said...

I can't believe you got a dog. I think I that is all I can say about that right now.

Sarah J. said...

I think every parent (mom) has that thought sometime during their child-rearing years to surprise their children with a pet, but YOU, YOU actually did IT! I can't believe it. I'm so proud of you for loving your children more than your clean carpet, floors and house. Let me know how it feels. ;)

Zappe Family said...

Wow. I won't be telling Aaron about this one. He would LOVE a dog, but I won't give in on that. Yikes! So does Tanner pedal his bike? Mitchell still won't do that! I'll need him to train Mitchell maybe! ;)

The Dillon 6 said...

If she's 1-1/2 she was probably already trained. She may be having accidents because she's out of sorts. Try and get her on a schedule and routine ~ they really are like our kids and they NEED structure.

Our dog actually came to us "trained" ~ however, our nanny helped us to reinforce the crate to continue that habit (our dog had been crate trained). It's not a bad, scary place...they actually like it (although they may not know that at the beginning).

We don't use the crate anymore... it's in the garage, and sometimes we put him there for punishment... which you are NOT supposed to do. He knows when he's done something over the top and hears "CRATE!" He slinks out to it with his head dragging on the ground and so sad eyes...

here's a good starter site: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

You'll want to get NATURE'S MIRACLE (if you don't already have it). It's the best thing for eliminating urine/poo stains and odors.

Also, BITTER APPLE. You spray it on objects that the dog chews, scratches, etc...it's pepper'ish and they hate it. Doesn't take long for them to recognize the bottle coming at 'em.

Good luck...You can call if you have any questions. If I can't answer them, our friend will know...she's like a dog-whisperer! ;)

Terra said...

I am so proud of you for getting a dog! Yes, there will be days when you will wonder what you were thinking but just look at your kids smiles and it will make it all better. I even posted coco on craigs list one day for FREE and then cried when we had so many calls on her! Obviously, we never gave her away. So sorry about your shi**er but it made me laugh so hard I was crying. Glad you guys had a better day on Christmas!

Wendy said...

Oh Niki. What HAVE you done?

TR said...

I can't BELIEVE you got a dog! DO you like dogs? Good luck!! Looks like you had a great Christmas! Ben's present was the best!!! Good job Parker! We're still waiting for you to come visit us!! (sans the dog)

Collings said...

OK, so you got the dog?!!! I am so proud of you. You'll have to let me know how it is going...

Yes,let's get the kiddies together again real soon!