Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Surprise!

It's been so nice to have some time off from school to be a mom and a home maker. I am loving my crafting, cleaning and organizing time, and even more-so, my MOM time!

Last week I picked P-Ditty up from school unexpectedly for lunch and Xmas shopping at the Dollar Store. He was thrilled with the exception of one BIG glitch...he had won his classroom spelling bee and was to participate in the school-wide one but missed it because we were playing hookie...OOPS!

This week I picked T-Man up and we enjoyed the same date. He was so excited. I love seeing his little face light up.

P-Ditty actually acknowledged me for "being a fun mom and planning surprises like lunch and Xmas shopping" during our family check-in this evening at dinner. LOVE those brownie points even more when they are appreciated! "Every night," (otherwise known as the nights that I actually manage to cook and get my family around the table together) we share the best part/worst part of our day, something we learned (or relearned), 3 things we're grateful for, and 3 things we love about ourselves. Then each person tells 3 things they love about the person checking in. It's a nice way to get conversation going, acknowledge our blessings, and show appreciation for ourselves and for one another.

It really is the simple things - surprise lunch with mom, snuggling on the couch to watch Xmas movies, T.I.M.E. spent together. My goal for 2013 is being INTENTIONAL with my time - 1. best (essential things - family and spirituality), 2. better (cleaning the house, paying the bills, school work, etc.), 3. good (fun)

I want to align my actions with the things (and people) that I value most. I love and appreciate my family and the Gospel with all of my heart but my choices don't always reflect that. Here's to change...

1 comment:

Katie said...

What fabulous goals! We could all work on those I am sure. Keith and I started doing, what we call, "three things" back when we were dating. We each list three good things about the day and then something we love about the other person. It is amazing how on rotten days it helps us see the good, and on good days, it helps us remember our blessings. Merry Christmas!