Tonight we had a Stake Relief Society dinner and devotional led by Virginia Pierce, daughter of President Gordon B. Hinckley. For those of you that do not belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we refer to a congregation as a "ward," and they are organized geographically. A "Stake" is a group of wards. The Relief Society is the oldest and largest women's organization world wide. The purpose of Relief Society is to build faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and help those in need. It is an "unspoken rule" that when meetings are held in the chapel we wear our "Sunday Best" (specifically a modest dress/skirt) - on second thought, I'm pretty sure I've heard that "rule" spoken many times, although one would never be "kicked out" for wearing scroungy clothing, or even pants to church.
Sunday best... tonight it didn't even cross my mind. Which brings me to the purpose of my post...Sister Pierce (we call each other "Brother" or "Sister" because of our belief that all individuals on the earth are Spirit Children of our Heavenly Father...but enough about us quirky Mormons) spoke on the "Big T's (Eternal Truths), and the "little t's" (perceived truths - those traditions or beliefs we learn and believe). Big T's = keep the commandments, love one another, follow Christ's teachings, basically those things that REALLY MATTER Eternally. Little t's = it matters what people think of me, I don't belong, I need to be like everyone else...those ego driven ideas we all have.
And here's what was cool for me...I wore pants. JEANS, in fact (Heaven FORBID!) and I sat in the Chapel. Every other person there was in a skirt but one, and she had slacks on. And I DIDN'T CARE!!! I didn't feel the slightest bit uncomfortable. In fact, I smiled to myself noting how comfortable I felt about the whole thing. I didn't feel insecure, nor did I think once about walking a block home to change. In the past, that would not have been the case for me.
Several years ago I was challenged by a therapist to wear pants to a church activity with the intent of facing the fear of not being accepted, and rejecting the need for perfection. I wore slacks and winced a bit, but survived the night. I felt like it was so important (a big T) to "fit in". I felt like I needed to explain myself all night, or to make sure others knew that "I didn't care" (a huge lie at the time). Tonight I inadvertently wore pants, and had a completely different experience. I chuckled at the irony, and quickly realized that what I wear and what people think of me doesn't change my worth as a daughter of God ONE IOTA. And THAT, is a good thing. I know that Heavenly Father is glad I was there, and that He is aware of the intentions of my heart. He knows I didn't mean a bit of disrespect for the occasion. And He probably smiled too. I realized tonight that although change/growth is often hard to see - life is a journey, not a destination - it DOES happen! Three Cheers for THERAPY! Rah! Rah! Rah! ;) And many more for TRUTH with a capital T.
1 comment:
Loved this post and love you!!
Post a Comment