Tuesday, February 28, 2012

being MINDful

If you are reading this blog and know me at all, you probably already know that I have struggled with crippling anxiety at times throughout my life. I have been on a personal journey for the past several years learning ways to free myself and to experience more joy.

My first "teacher" was a therapist that taught me to make decisions based upon LOGIC and REASON, rather than EMOTION. That led me to push myself to do things that I would not have considered before. My list of challenges/triumphs included (but was not limited to) the following:
  • going paragliding (fear of heights)
  • wearing wrinkled clothes, no makeup and glasses to church (fear of being judged/imperfect)
  • not making my bed or scouring my house from top to bottom before my mother came to visit and making no excuses for myself (fear of not being "good enough")
  • went hiking alone with my children (fear of being vulnerable/unsafe)
  • leaving my children for 3 days to sail on "The Adventuress" - a 100 year old schooner with my life coach. (fear of leaving my children/fear of being with strangers/doing something new)
  • drawing a picture of the Savior (this one sounds funny - I had always wanted to attempt this but was worried it wouldn't be "good enough")
Each triumph led me closer and closer to the person I wanted to be.

The "MOTHER" of all challenges was a trip to India - a Leader's Journey with the Jempe Center in 2008. That trip brought me to my knees - literally and figuratively. I had to stare down every fear I could dream of - leaving my children, leaving the COUNTRY, flying on an airplane, leaving my husband, going to an unknown land with strangers, have no contact with the outside world for 8 days while trekking in the Himalaya's - staring down cliffs, sleeping with creatures in the sheets and showering with giant spiders, among others.

MINDFUL



mind·ful

adj \ˈmīn(d)-fəl\

Definition of MINDFUL

1
: bearing in mind : aware
2
: inclined to be aware
mind·ful·ly adverb
mind·ful·ness noun

Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance, without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment and awakening to experience.

No comments: