Sunday, November 1, 2009

its true....

We're moving to Salt Lake! I guess its high time I picked up blogging again to stay in touch with all of those we are leaving behing in Seattle. A lot can happen in a year...Tanner turned 4, Parker turned 9, Ben turned 32, and I had a birthday as well. 43. I've decide to start ADDING to my age. That way you get a lot of "you look so YOUNG for your age". Niki ran (er...jogged and walked and almost crawled) her first marathon. She also got certified and started teaching yoga and loves it! We went to AZ to visit G&G for Xmas and had such a great time we decided to go back for spring break. Swimming trumped Disneyland for both boys. Next time we'll save our money. In April Ben & I went to SLC for his dad's mission farewell. While there Ben had lunch with an old business associate that works for the church now. Over the course of the next 7 months, he and Ben chatted a lot, and Ben was offered a job with Family Search at the church and starts his new job 11/30! Its a HUGE change for our family. One that we've been preparing and working toward for the past couple of years. From a worldly perspective, leaving Microsoft is about the dumbest thing we could do career wise, but this just feels like the right thing for our family. If we had any doubt, our house selling for cash in 36 hours seemed like a good sign. Now to find a place to live... In July Ben & I were "Maw & Paw" for the youth (almost) Trek. It was cancelled due to heat, but we had a fun camping weekend with some great kids instead!

In August we celebrated our 10 year anniversary in Kauai and had a great time! Thanks mom and dad for watching the kiddos! Parker started 3rd grade this fall and is excited to move because "Everyone crowds around the new kid". Tanner started preschool and can't wait to live by Grandpa Rowe and "make cupcakes with him!" We had a great, lazy summer. The boys both grew shags and I took it as long as I could, but something HAD to be done when school started. We bought a tent trailer this summer and really enjoyed the great outdoors. Lots of camping and hiking for us. Loved it! I guess that's it for now?!

Pix from our year in review...

Family Photos in Maple Valley before we bid our fond farewell!








Yogi in training!
First day of Preschool! We are REALLY going to miss Ms. Debi!!! (Or DEVI as Tanner says.)
First day of 3rd grade! Mrs. Bennison has been the BEST teacher! Wish we could take her with us too!
My birthday. Ben makes the best cakes!
My birthday present - a guitar and a new amp! I started guitar lessons this fall and even joined a band, although it was short lived due to moving plans.
Rock & Roll Marathon - June

Kauai, 2009
Shaggy D.A.
Ben's bday. We celebrated by camping! The DAY after we returned from a 10 day trip to Kauai. I must REALLY love my husband.
Trek - Maw & Paw Bennett
4th of July
Parker's bday. He picked two friends and celebrated at Olson Mansion - mini golf, swim and fishing!
Red Robin with cousin Evan. They share the same special day!
Tanner's bday in AZ!
Snow shoeing Denny Creek, 1/2009

22 comments:

Katie said...

Looks like a GREAT year! Congrats on the anniversary, marathon, and yoga certification. You rock! Hope the move goes well. Welcome to Utah!

Kerry said...

This post got me all choked up AGAIN about you guys moving. I must tell you that I'm quite sad that you're leaving. We didn't hang out a lot, but you made quite an impact on my life (you have that gift with people--you're just so dang real and I LOVE IT!). Anyway, Aaron and I hold you guys in the highest respect, and this decision increases that respect higher than you'll ever know. Your example of following God's will is extremely powerful and compelling and I'm grateful to know you. LOVE YOU! By the way, I read Ben's work email announcement and thought it was perfect and bold! I hope we get to see you before you leave, and that we can get together when we head down to Utah. :)

Sarah J. said...

We are SO going to miss you! We've known you guys since we moved out to MV and it just doesn't seem right that you're leaving too! (I say, "too" because it seems we are the only originals still here!) I wish your family only the BEST in this new chapter of your lives. I know the Lord will bless you and your family and you will be such a joy to everyone in SLC. Please keep in touch! (And don't have too much fun with Evelyn!) ;)

MET said...

Wow!! I can't believe your moving back...we'll definetly have to catch up.

Marisa said...

Great pictures! I can't believe you're really going, it will be sad without you here! I hope Ben's new job is great and you guys love it in UT. I'm glad Parker has a good attitude about it, I don't think I would get that out of my kids! Call me to watch your kids anytime so you can pack and get ready.

Schiess Clan said...

Great to see you back blogging! We are SOOOO EXCITED to have you guys here!

Love you all!

Charmayne said...

Well congrats! Hope you all have a safe and fun move back to UT. Stay in touch!

Punk Rock Dad said...

Hey Niki, I wish the best to you and your family on your new adventure in SLC. As you said in your entry, it will be a huge change your all of you, but it sounds certain that your hearts are in the right place and this new direction will turn out incredible for you and your family. Ou prayers are with you. Take caer and good luck and I look forward to following your next adventure via blog and FB.

All the best,
Chris

Zappe Family said...

Niki...we're going to miss your spunk and fun. M's going to miss T-man too. We wish you all the best in your adventures down there!!!

Balls Family said...

Wow! What a year. Let us know if there's anything we can do or if we can provide any input on places to live or if you need a place to stay when you come to look. I'm not sure where Ben's working (is it the new building in Riverton) but there's some houses in our area, mostly new.

Sha said...

I won't leave the comment I'd like to....so here is the edited version...
I am so "freekin" happy for you guys, you are going to "totally" love Utah! The quality time you'll have with Peter and Molly will be "priceless, and spiritual!!" Love you guys, you are the best :)

CR said...

I'm glad you're back to blogging! Good luck finding a house!

Leslie Behunin said...

Niki...I'm so sad to see you guys go. I really am. However, I'm excited for all the new and exciting changes in your life. I think it's great that Ben is working with Family Search. My in-laws volunteer once a week in their Layton Hills center AND are part time support @ home for people calling w/ questions.

Best of luck!!!! We have loved getting to know you!

Blaire Ostler said...

'bout time you started blogging again! i missed you:)

Kasey said...

Hey! So I randomly found your blog off another one...maybe Kristen's? Anyway, so excited for you and your big move. Good luck with everything! Love the update on your year...sounds like a busy one. And FUN! We'll have to meet up sometime when we go to SLC next.

Laura said...

wow! congrats! I'm sure you will enjoy it back there and find a great place to live! So exciting about the marathon and the yoga! You totally rock to do all that!! Good luck with the move...especially right inbetween holidays!! Glad you year went well!

Kristen said...

Congrats and love seeing the pictures of the boys. Can't believe we went through the pregnancy thing together 9 years ago. Time flies. Since Matt's fam lives in Sandy, we'll see you next time we are in the US. And if you ever want to come to Paris...

Susan said...

WHAT??? 43!?!?! I don't believe that for a second...

Looking forward to keeping up with you on your blogs!! (& FB!)

Camille said...

Fun to read the update - I can't believe you're already gone! Adam was talking about how he's sad Parker won't be here anymore! It'll be good to show him pics of what you're up to! Good luck with everything!

Terra said...

Salt Lake--what a change. Please let me know if you need anything while you're re-locating. We're in Sandy. terrina4029@hotmail.com.

cherisse said...

Love Shalyns comment..have fun with peter and molly I am sure you will love every minute of it. : ) Although I am glad you are moving...maybe shalyn will get her butt in gear now and move back to cali since there is no one there to keep her in Washington now!!
How exciting for you guys though really...a change that will be so nice. Change is good. Just think instead of all that rain and gloomy weather you will just freeze your butt off now in Utah. Yay for you!
Enjoy freezing your non-existent butt off...while I enjoy my 75 degree weather : )
Congrats

Mommy Shar said...

1st off I've missed and have been sightly worried with your lack of blogging, welcome back. 2nd Yoga, WOW you go girl I can't hold a position to save my life. That's awesome. 3rd you look as amazing as ever, are you sure you aren't 21? 4th Utah, really where abouts are you now? Welcome home! We just bought a new home in September in Riverton. I would love to do lunch one day. 5th your house is AMAZING, you realy know how to decorate something I still need to do but have no idea where to start. Perhaps your extras in the garage. =) okay last but not least ya get in touch it's been way too long. =) Happy New Year!