We were really torn on which house to buy. Ever since my trip to India, and Ben's Leader's Journey in the PNW, we had been wanting to simplify - smaller house, less things, more quality time as a family. However, when it came down to the decision we REALLY struggled. We had offers on two homes - one small, but nice, built in 1957, in a great area (diverse, great schools, close to Ben's work, etc.) that was small and simple, and one 30 miles south that was BIG (twice the size) and BEAUTIFUL, and a great deal! We wavered back and forth several times and a few friends finally convinced us that it was clear what we wanted, but until we took that brave step, we'd never really know if that was what we wanted.
SO...here is our small, simple, cozy home in a GREAT neighborhood.
View from our Driveway -
1. The boys are sharing a room and they HAVE to learn to get along.
2. I can do laundry, facebook and cook at the SAME TIME in the SAME ROOM.
3. Easy to clean!
4. Cozy and homey.
5. More together time - Easier to keep an eye on the boys and what they are doing.
6. Less "stuff" to keep track of.
7. We HAVE to stay organized!
8. 20 minute commute to Ben's work.
9. Location, Location, LOCATION! Great neighborhood/ward - lots of old, young and in-between. (We are also 3 minutes to Ben's dad's house.)
10. I didn't have to buy ONE THING to decorate and I have 1/2 a garage full of "STUFF" to sell! We will need to buy some dining room chairs eventually, and our front loading w/d didn't fit the space, but we took the doors off the closet and put a curtain up, so they'll do for now.
Of course there are a few things to get used to - like missing our friends and family in Seattle, and the NOISE in a small house (especially when you are trying to sleeping in!), but we are really pleased with our decision. We are looking forward to finishing our 1/4 basement (family/play room) after the holidays.
Heavenly Father sure loves us all and really takes care of us if we have the faith to let Him. This decision made NO sense from a worldly perspective - taking a SIGNIFICANT paycut, leaving Microsoft, selling our house in a depresseed economy and losing money on it, etc., but it felt right and we have been so blessed. This was the EASIEST move we've ever made - in part because Ben had 2 weeks off work, we had Aunt Lindsay to watch the kids for 3 days, and movers, but also because Heavenly Father REALLY took care of us. Our other house sold in 36 hours for cash for near asking price, we closed on this house a week before Ben had to go back to work, the weather was PERFECT for our drive to SLC, etc. We are GRATEFUL!
Hope you are all well!
We love you.
Merry Christmas!
11 comments:
congrats on the move and LOVE the new house. so beautiful.
Great post! Still love how you've decorated your home, and I forgot to mention that I LOVE the fact that you have a fireplace in the kitchen. Do you like it? You guys are missed!
I agree with all that and...
*your heating/air bill is lower
*your property taxes are lower
*you buy things with more thought simply because you don't have the space.
*you know you can stay in your house FOREVER...or at least until you need to go into a nursing home! :)
I'm glad to hear your loving it! :)
I'm not at the point yet where I am willing to give all that up. I LOVE my little house!
So fun to see all the pics! Love your family pics~you guys look happy. Have a very Merry Christmas.
Niki, I love the house! You have such a gift for decorating and it is in a great neighborhood with lots of room outdoors. I am glad you are loving it down there. You never know...we may visit you one of these days!
Your house looks great! Not at all what I was expecting when you said a small house built in 57! It looks like whoever redid the countertops, cabinets, light fixtures etc. did a tasteful job and that main area is so open, I think I would love it too! Right now it sounds wonderful to have less house to clean and smaller bills. It's funny how much it looks like your old house to me with all your same things in it. I'm so glad you're feeling good about your decision and I think you will really be happy.
I am so happy to hear all is well. Your house is beautiful! You really are a great decorator!
O my gosh you make me sick, your house looks like its out of a picture of a magazine!!! Mine is sooo sad I am horrible at decorating and the walls have nothing on them. I think you need to take a trip to Cali now and come decorate my house.
So, where are you?!? Call me and lets figure out a time to catch up. 801-647-1313.
LOVE your front room. Just beautiful! Miss you guys!
BEAUTIFUL, Niki!! I feel bad that I didn't even know you were gone until after the fact.
We have picked up and moved before. And you're right...from a worldlyl perspective it makes no sense. But Heavenly Father knows us better than we know ourselves.
Keep fighting the good fight. Or loving the right love? ;)
Post a Comment