Saturday, September 6, 2008

"it was a lot of money way back THEN!"



Ever since the ice cream WO-man came around on her motorcycle this summer, P-ditty has been SCHEMING. His plan: get a cooler and some ice cream music (put it on his MP3 player) and go around selling icecream in the neighborhood. SO, I FINALLY came through with my promises today, but we adjusted the plan a bit. We settled for a cooler and a beach chair by the lake here in town. (Do you love the "fuel rewards" advertisement he added?)

Thanks to some GREAT friends that we ran into there (Dicksons and Hess'), he did pretty well! I think they each spent at least $3.

When it came to selling to strangers, at first he was pretty shy. And you know, I was a bit disappointed in my fellow citizens. How can you look a cute little guy like PDitty in the eye and say "NO" to a 50 cent icecream?! What has this world COME to?! THANK YOU MOM for teaching me not to EVER pass a lemonade stand. It's the little things in life that are BIG things in the life of a child!

FINALLY a generous family came by and bought 5 popsicles. They talked with him about how they own a family business and how much they admired him for working hard. The father coached him on selling tactics (call out LOUD, etc.) and what do you know?! That kid became a DYNAMITE salesman! It was hillarious. "Popsicles for sale! Get your popsicles! Only 50 cents and they're really tasty!" $2.50 and the man made his DAY! I could have HUGGED him. He still got turned down quite a bit after that, but came home with $10! (Never mind the $7 I spent on popsicles-it was a small price to pay for a FUN afternoon with my little pal.)

On the way home I told him how much he had earned (I traded him for a $10 bill) and he said, "THAT'S IT!? ONE bill?" me: "Hey! $10 is a LOT of money!" Pditty, under his breath: "It was a lot of money back THEN!" Are you KIDDING me?! Am I already that old? In the end he came home a happy boy. PHEW!

PS-make sure you check out my cute little preschooler in the prior post if you haven't already! :)

12 comments:

Lindsay said...

Good job, Parker! And, good job Niki for being such a GREAT mom. Jack has been begging us to do the same thing. It is so cute to see their little minds at work.

satcy said...

Clever Boy! What a good mom you are.

Collings said...

This is the cutest post...gee, I wish we would have gone to the lake yesterday :)

the family thorpe said...

Niki this experience and blog entry are priceless. What a cute and memorable thing to do with P-ditty! If I had been there I would have bought him out ;-)! It's good to hear of the few families that had some compassion for the hard working guy.

Unknown said...

I agree - my mom taught me never to pass a lemonade/ice cream stand as well. I just think that these days, people don't carry cash like they used to therefore don't have the right change.

We have tried it a few times in the neighborhood and we mostly end up giving away cups and treats to people walking their dogs. I guess that is a good lesson too - be charitable.

Danielle Weathers said...

What a good mom! And kudos to Parker for his creativity and drive! Who could pass up such a cute kid! Also, what adorable pictures of Tanner on his first day of Preschool. He is a doll!

TR said...

Go Parker! I'm proud of him! And you're a good mom to set that all up.

The Dillon 6 said...

It's hard to be your own boss, Parker. A whole lotta work, and not always a huge return.

Zappe Family said...

What a great story! Gotta love his creativity! I would've loved to have seen him in action!

Terra said...

You are such a cute mom! (Tea has been begging me to do a lemonade stand forever and we are giving in tomorrow for a special cause - watch the blog for an update.)

Good job on the hard days work, Parker! I also loved the post on T-man. Both boys in school - are you loving your free time? Your boys are too cute. They are going to break a lot of hearts!

Miss you!

Rachael said...

good for both of you!! That's the sort of mom thing that is so hard for me to do the follow through. hurray for the nice man at the lake, too - what an everyday hero!

Ronda said...

What a little entrepruener. That is so cute! Watch out now, he'll be wanting to franchise! I don't understand how people could have said no to that cutie pie.