Thursday, July 17, 2008

INDIA-days 15-16...

JOURNAL ENTRY: "Ginny & I had some huge, nasty spiders in our hotel room. Aaron killed one of them last night, and the next morning there was one in the bathroom about the size of the palm of my hand. It was headed straight for me when I was in the shower so I grabbed my shoe and smashed it. They are so GROSS! They move super fast."

"Namaste". Even the tiny little ones greeted us politely! (Ranikhet.)
On the 3 hour Jeep ride from Ranikhet to the train depot...there was a HUGE truck full of styrofoam and they were dumping it over the side of a beautiful pristine slope-so sad! (JM's photo.) JOURNAL ENTRY: "We just got on the train. The Jeep ride down from Ranikhet wasn't bad at all. It went by super fast. It's insane-the bathroom on the train consists of an Asian style toilet that's basically a hole in the floor of the train, so your waste goes right onto the tracks-nasty! Earlier in the day we went to Kutty's house to meet his wife Dolly and children Sarah and Zain. What a GREAT family! Dolly made us sandwiches, muffins and cookies. It was great to have a good meal-the first meat I have dared to eat in India!"

"Hearts" on the train. L to R: JM, me, JK & Ginny. (JM's photo.)
Aaron & I on the train ride. (JM's photo.)
Porters...(JM's photo.)
Kutty negotiating with porters...(JM's photo.) Just a TEENY bit crowded! We had to FIGHT our way off of the train. It was pretty hillarious. Aaron had some guy slapping him in the leg and a lady screaming at him. I could not stop laughing. We literally had to push our way out with our luggage. (JM's photo.)
Loading our AIR CONDITIONED bus! (JM's photo.)
Leaving the train station in Delhi. (JM's photo.)
JOURNAL ENTRY: "The train ride was long, but not NEARLY as bad as the bus ride up! When we got to the Delhi station it was a bit crazy. I was really glad Kutty was with us! I had my first REAL shower (the one in Ranikhet was basically a "drizzle") in about 12 days. It felt AMAZING! We all went to the open market to do some shopping and I was sweaty in about 5 minutes-its super hot and VERY humid in Delhi. But shopping was FANTASTIC! I could have spent 2 weeks there-good thing I only had 1.5 hours or I could have done some SERIOUS damage! I can't wait to get home and show my family all of the fun souveniers I bought them. I got to talk to Ben & the boys at the aiport. TJ wouldn't talk to me at first-he's probably a bit confused by all of this. I can't WAIT to see them all-24 hours."
Delhi is such a crazy, busy city! It's very energizing, and overwhelming, all at the same time. ESPECIALLY after having been in the mountains-completely removed from civilization-for 10 days! (JM's photo.)
JM's photo...
JM's photo...
We had about an hour and a half to QUICKLY shop the street market across from our Hotel. I wished I had had a couple of DAYS! It was like HEAVEN! This is a Tibetan woman-she was the kindest lady, and completely honest-I had a great time buying a few things from her, as well as a couple other vendors. I ended up running out of money and borrowing from Aaron-thx again!!! (JM's photo.)
"Welcome to Delhi"...

JOURNAL ENTRY: "Aaron, Robert & I arrived at the airport 3 hours early, and its a GOOD thing because I counted at least 7 passport checks, 2 carry on screenings and a body search that left me feeling slightly violated-haha! It has been a long flight, but we're only 5 hours from NJ-yeah America!!! I seriously cannot wait. India was awesome and I'm SO glad I went, but there really is NO place like home and it feels like I've been gone for MONTHS!"

ANOTHER JOURNAL ENTRY: "Ugh! It's been 30 hours since we left Ranikhet and I am ready to be DONE! Talk about 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles'! 2 hours until we arrive in NJ, a 3 hour layover and another 5 hour flight. I'll be home in just under 12 hours-yeah!!!"

YET ANOTHER JOURNAL ENTRY: "Whoa-40 minutes until we land and I'm starting to freak out a bit. I'm finding myself wishing I were still in India. It's always hard to come back to reality."

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I would seriously have nightmares about those spiders!

The Dillon 6 said...

the sign where the guy is, um, relieving himself is hiLARious! Donations... ;)

Zappe Family said...

Ditto. Hilarious pic of the peeing man. :)

Jolley Family said...

I hate spiders more than anyone could ever know. I am a true arachnaphobic! If you want to see me freak out, put me in a room with a big spider! I would not have been able to sleep had I seen that baby! One of the nights we came back to the house we stayed at in Kampala, there was a HUGE spider! Suzy and I were both freaking! They got some bug spray and killed it but I didn't sleep well that night, even w/mosquito nets! The peeing in the street was common in Africa too! In fact, suzy kept seeing naked people walking down the road. I always missed the naked ones for some reason! Totally crazy to see all that!