Friday, April 25, 2008

FLASHBACK FRIDAY...


I figured I might as well stick with the school theme...

Here I am in Kindergarten. As you can see, of course, I am on the BOTTOM row! I was always the tiniest one in my class-the one the other kids liked to pick up and twirl around. I HATED it! My teacher's name was Mrs. Jaquish. I don't remember too much about kindergarten, but we'll see what comes up...

I remember playing in the sand bins. I remember big black pencils and fat stubby crayons. I remember a boy that used to sing and hum in the bathroom that was at the front of our classroom. An old upright piano and a mother's day tea complete with a presentation of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears", cardboard building blocks, a playhouse, and airing all of my family's dirty laundry-for show & tell I shared that "My mom and dad got in a fight because my dad wouldn't let my mom go to Utah to see her mom, so she cried." The things teachers hear! I remember when I was teaching first grade, a girl with a mom that was a bit snobby brought a bunny for show & tell. The kids each got to ask 3 questions. "Do you like it?" "Yes." "Do you sleep with it?" "Yes." "Where did you get it?" "Well, my MOM said to tell you that I got it from the Easter Bunny, but really I got it at the D.I." Gotta love it!

I still remember the day the teacher assigned the name "Niki" to me because there were two Nicole's in the classroom...as you can see, it STUCK! (My family already called me that at home.) I tried several times over the next 25 years to change it back, but to no avail. Guess I'm just more of a "Niki".

I can hardly remember any of these kids because I ended up in Pre-First the next year. (Due to my size, immaturity, and late birthday.) But on the top row, 4th from the left is a girl named Stacy. She lived by my bus stop and was the "cool girl". AKA, brat. She did come to one of my bday parties. Then there is Eric Manly. I graduated with him. On the end is Becky Hostetler. We were in Blue Birds together, and I also graduated with her. Next row 2nd in, a girl that was in my ward. Can't remember her name though-they moved not long after. Next is Timmy, Holly Shidleman, Scott Hamilton (for some strange reason I remember him having some sort of knobs screwed into his neck and thinking he was "frankenstein"), 2 down from him is Pearl Hartshorn. She has always been one of my best friends! We were born a week apart, in the same ward AND neighbors until 1st grade. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend! We have been through a lot-good AND bad together and have always been there for each other. Next to her is Matt Polowski. Graduated with him as well, and he was in my ward. First row: Cathy something or other, 2 down Laura something, end ME!

I remember one incident where the entire class was banging their pencils on the backs of the chairs. Mrs. J told us to stop. And FOR ONCE I listened the FIRST TIME! All of the kids that DIDN'T stop, were lined up and marched to the principal's (Dr. Nygard) for a SWAT...can you IMAGINE that? Swatting a kindergartener with a PADDLE?! Crazy.

In 6th grade I had the opportunity to volunteer in Mrs. J's class every Friday. I thought I was BIG STUFF! I wonder what she would have thought to know that she was influential in my becoming a first grade teacher?! Pretty cool.

5 comments:

Zappe Family said...

So hilarious. I feel your pain about being on the bottom row in all class pics. I was there too!

Sharie McCraney said...

It's Nolte for me.

Zappe Family said...

BTW...that Sunday Best pic of Tman is the CUTEST!!!

The Dillon 6 said...

i love memories like this...once you start, it's almost hard to stop!

Sometimes I think a big paddle (even just the potential of it) would make a difference to some students... ;)

Rachael said...

This is so funny! I've just been going through old pictures and thinking about the random pieces of memories from those early school years - life through a 6 year old's eyes.

P.S. I was always the shortest in my class, too!