I learned the heimlich maneuver several years ago when I watched my mom save my dog Zack from choking on a baked potato. Yes, its true...the heimlich maneuver works for pets and people alike! So tonight I was in the living room playing the piano when I heard a muffled gagging noise from the kitchen. I ran in to find Tanner choking on a square Jolly Rancher candy. I tipped him upside down and pounded his back as hard as I could at least 4 times, followed by the heimlich maneuver before I finally got it out. It about scared me to death, but he was apparently unaffected. He cried and hugged me for a few seconds, and then asked for another Jolly Rancher. BAD IDEA BUDDY! I'm SO grateful that I acted well under pressure for once in my life! I was DETERMINED to get that baby out. I won't be surprised if he has bruises on his back tomorrow...but you gotta do what you gotta do!
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
THANKS A MILLION MOM!
I learned the heimlich maneuver several years ago when I watched my mom save my dog Zack from choking on a baked potato. Yes, its true...the heimlich maneuver works for pets and people alike! So tonight I was in the living room playing the piano when I heard a muffled gagging noise from the kitchen. I ran in to find Tanner choking on a square Jolly Rancher candy. I tipped him upside down and pounded his back as hard as I could at least 4 times, followed by the heimlich maneuver before I finally got it out. It about scared me to death, but he was apparently unaffected. He cried and hugged me for a few seconds, and then asked for another Jolly Rancher. BAD IDEA BUDDY! I'm SO grateful that I acted well under pressure for once in my life! I was DETERMINED to get that baby out. I won't be surprised if he has bruises on his back tomorrow...but you gotta do what you gotta do!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
that is so scary. i -h a t e- jolly ranchers. they are just asking for trouble. i am SO glad to hear all is well. glad to know you reacted when you did.
that is so cool you play the piano. that is my biggest regrets in life. such a quiter. i wish i could just sit and play.
wow. that's scary. glad that you stayed calm and those motherly instincts kicked in! it's amazing what you can do under pressure like that, isn't it? glad you are all okay!
Whew! I always wonder how I would react in a crisis like that. It gives me hope to hear stories like this and know that when it happens, those instincts kick in and we do what has to be done.....then freak out!!! (I know I would!)
Ohhh, man... (one) of a mother's worst nightmares. I'm sure your heart is still pounding when you think about it. I hate those darn jolly ranchers. Boycotting for sure from my house! :)
I didnt know you had a dog named Zack!! Do you think of him whenever you talk to my husband. Ha Ha
It is crazy how kids even that little have the fear of death when that happens, also crazy that they forget so quickly afterwards.
Post a Comment