Monday, November 19, 2012

Dedicated to my future Daughters in Law...You're Welcome

My boys are stud muffins. That's all there is to it. I am feeling extremely overwhelmed with being in school full time (6 classes and a 15 hour/week internship), trying to keep the house running (with the help of my awesome husband), trying to be a good mom, and just trying to deal with life in general. So many people that I love are going through devastating and life-changing trials. Today I feel as though I can barely breathe. Ten page papers, grieving friends, laundry, empty cupboards...children at my internship suffering with homelessness, parents with substance abuse problems, abuse, neglect and hunger ... it feels all-consuming. I picked P-Ditty up from piano lessons and put my head on the steering wheel to pray while I waited for him. He came out to the car and said, "Mom, what's wrong? Are you okay?" To which I responded, "Yeah, I'm just really stressed and overwhelmed." "Aw, I'm sorry. Talk to me mom! What's going on?," he replied. I then gave him a child-appropriate version of what I'm feeling, to which he responded, "Well, try not to focus on all of that stuff right now. Focus on what's positive right now. You're getting straight A's in school, you've done really well on your papers, you're keeping the house clean...focus on all the good stuff. You can worry later!" I immediately felt my body soften and my breath deepen. And then T-man added, "Yeah, this morning I was really nervous that you wouldn't be there to pick me up from the bus stop this afternoon, and then I said to myself, 'You have a long time before you need to worry about that,' and before I knew it I was home, and you were there!" My sweet boys humble me, inspire me, and teach me every day. I'm so grateful that they are learning to be perceptive, empathetic and compassionate. I'm grateful that they know how to express themselves and invite others to do the same. I Love them so much!!! I'm a blessed mother.

1 comment:

Katie said...

What a sweet heart!!! You have taught them well. Good luck with everything!