Wednesday, May 7, 2008

TReKKIN...




tonight i feel EXCITED about my trip to India! thx for all of your support blogging friends and fam. i have my passport, my visa, my vaccinations, my gear and my PLANE TICKET! i'm ready to go. its not going to be an easy 5 weeks, so you'll probably be hearing A LOT about my anticipation, excitement, and apprehension...but that's what the trip is all about, right?! Ben reminded me that fear is one of the main reasons i'm doing this!

my life-coach brought up some interesting questions for me the other day. WHY is it important to me to face/challenge/overcome my fears? after a LOT of deliberation, i determined that i want to experience JOY (I'm talking about GOSPEL joy here...in other words, living according to laws, principals, doctrine and TRUTH, not feelings/emotion) by living IN THE MOMENT! i've spent so much of my life living in the past or dreading the future that i have often forgotten to enjoy the PRESENT!

my therapist reminded me today that even if i went WITHOUT a specific purpose, LEARNING would occur, and THAT is why Heavenly Father sent us to earth...to LEARN! He could have told us to read a book, but He wanted us to learn through our EXPERIENCES!

some other interesting thoughts from my appt. today:

*Heavenly Father created this beautiful world FOR ME! So why WOULDN'T I want to explore it!
*I am going with my BROTHERS and SISTERS! (We are ALL related in the Eternal realm of things.)
*People are going to have their judgments, good and bad, about me going. Some will think its GREAT, some will think its SELFISH. People always have and always will have their judgments. He gave this thought..."In the pre-existance, there may have been some Spirits saying "Wow! Niki is going to earth now! I can't wait to join her. I'm so excited." While others may have thought, "Can you BELIEVE she is going to earth, KNOWING that she is going to DIE?" It really put it into perspective for me. AND made me laugh.
*HUMOR is HEALING!
*We can RETRAIN our brain and create new neuro-pathways.

many of you have asked WHAT I'm going to be doing in India. We will be trekking in the Himalayas, and staying in tea huts and tents, where we will be doing most of our LEARNING. the toughest part of the trip is going to be the "emotional" part. its pretty deep. i'm not sure how to explain the whole "life-coach" thing...um, its a coach for your life! (was that PROFOUND or what?!) basically, he/she helps you uncover your purpose and LIVE by it, and also get rid of your GARBAGE!
and as for BENNY-BOY...HE will be doing MY job for 2 weeks! remember that post from last fall? the one where he was at Whistler, and I was cleaning toilets, etc? TIME TO SWITCH ROLES! what a great guy huh?!

16 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

you certainly LOOK ready to go! I think it will be an amazing experience...you'll have to have an Open House and do a PowerPoint Presesentation so we can all hear about it at the same time. ;)


answers to blog question: Whatcott. Cool School was something he did in the summer for boys 3-7...he took them for 3-1/2 hours (I think it was that long) and P-L-A-Y-E-D with those boys like her was their long, lost big brother...they drink tiger blood, rough house, he makes them lunch, explore the train tracks, bike rides. It was amazing and I'm almost as sad as Malcolm that it's over. :(

cori said...

you look great. i am so thrilled for you. you are going to have the best experience. and could you be my life coach? cuz, you kinda already are. you are amazing.

Scheris said...

LOVE THIS POST girl... so happy for you and everything you said.. is SO TRUE.. great job... great power.. OMG'sh.. i am so EXCITED. Life is great.

YES>>>>>> you and Ben can go into the business of Life Coaching.. you both are amazing people, AMAZING children of God. Keep up the wonderful work and growth and tahnk you for being an example to me and my family.

satcy said...

You are so Brave! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Sarah J. said...

Just remember... Fear is the opposite of Faith. AND, I'll be sending you John Bytheway's talk before you leave. It's EXACTLY what you need. Proud of ya.

Jolley Family said...

I think it's great your going. Go with an open mind and take it all in. You'll be better for going. Make sure you take a head lamp to read at night. It's no fun to have jet lag and lay there in what the middle of then night there but it's day time here and you can't sleep. Head lamps work good for long hours of reading when you can't sleep (my arms got tired of holding flashlights!) Thank goodness Suzy didn't snap a photo of my head lamp days in Uganda! Dork for sure! Can't wait to hear all about your experience.

Sharie McCraney said...

When are you going? I'm so excited for you. Call me at night when you have a minute. I haven't talked to you in a while.

Leslie Behunin said...

My only question is...Is India ready for YOU??? :) You'll have a great time!!!

Honor said...

sounds exciting to me! Good luck!

Katie said...

Good luck! I am way excited for you!

fam stories said...

Wow, india! How exciting! What an amazing adventure you will have. I can't wait to see pic's! I hope you will find what you are looking for, and get the peace in your life you desire. It's been great keeping up with you!

Cynthia

TR said...

Nicoli (this is Chris by the way)-
We love looking at the blog. What a genuine and sincere person you are. We love that quality about you. We will be praying for you AND Ben. I'm sure you'll do great and have a tremendous experience. Take some pass-along cards. We love ya sis. Love, Chris

Terra said...

I am so excited for you and the adventure you are about to experience! I can only imagine what a life changing time this will be and I admire your strength and courage to take on this challenge. Good luck! I can't wait to hear all about it! Love you!!!

Charmayne said...

Oh girlfriend~only you can look so cute in hiking getup! You should forward your pic to "The North Face", "Under Armor"-somewhere. :)

Seriously, I can't wait to hear about your trip.

amy germer said...

AWESOME! The part about getting rid of all your garbage would make all worth it to me. Exciting!

Corey and Lisa said...

wow, you are amazing! That is a huge step when you have certain fears. I am terrified to fly and something like that would probably be healing for me too...only I am not so sure I would take the leap of faith like you are doing. Can't wait to hear about it!