Saturday, May 17, 2008

It's a SMALL WORLD after all!

I hope Shalyn won't mind me posting pictures from her blog, but I made the most FASCINATING discovery last night...

First I noticed that the name on the tombstone her family is standing next to has the name "FIFE" on it. "That's interesting", I thought. "My Grandma was a Fife. Maybe we're related somewhere down the line!"




Then I saw THIS!



Of course I called her RIGHT AWAY! ME: "I think we're related!" SHALYN: "Why's that?" ME: "Your mom is standing in front of the house my MOM grew up in!" SHALYN: "No, that's the house my great-grandfather built." ME: "No...MY great-grandfather built that house! My grandma was raised there, and then she and my grandpa bought it from him and raised their children there!"


So it turns out that we're SECOND COUSINS! Our Grandma's were the best of friends. My grandma was the oldest of 5 children, her's was the youngest. Our mothers were great friends growing up! We had to call them right away. They were both SO excited that my mom called her mom and they talked until MIDNIGHT reminiscing about life on the farm. I can't wait to get together and share family histories. I LOVE this kind of stuff! Our grandmother's were AMAZING women who endured much! Their mother died during childbirth when my grandmother was 9.


Isn't it CRAZY??? You know how you are just drawn to certain people? I liked Shalyn right away. She is in my ward, lives right down the hill, and we trade babysitting EVERY week! So fun! LOVE YA CUZ!

17 comments:

Ryan said...

that's awesome! I can't believe you said Fife. My sister is married to a Fife, are they all connected some way? happy family history-ing!

The Dillon 6 said...

isn't it amazing?! life is SO odd. There is a woman in my Ward who knew my Grandmother "back in the day" ~ some time I'll tell you the story of how we "discovered" our connection. :)

amy germer said...

I love that story! It gave me chills. I wish I could have a cool story like that happen to me.

Shalyn & Joe said...

I can't complain about not having family in WA anymore. I have the coolest cousin :)
I'll bet our grandma's have been laughing at us for the last 9 months wondering when we were going to put the pieces together!!!

Mommy Shar said...

LOL how cool! I had a similar experiance in college. I made a good friend in a class and we became close. It wasn't until her name ( father's name i suppose) was on my mom's caller id that we realized we are also cousins. My grandmother and her grandfather were brother and sister. We since have had many crazy things happen. What a small world! On a side note if you talk to Lindsey or if she reads this tell her to add me to her blog. She told me she would like a month ago but still no access =*(

Leslie Behunin said...

NO WAY!!!! What a crazy connection!

Zappe Family said...

That's so crazy! :) You do look alike though... :)

Laura said...

no that's not me Nikki (the ryan) but that is SUCH a cool story! I don't think it was just luck though, somethings are definitely planned!--I let you know when we're moving to Seattle ;~) but come and visit the bay--it's georgeous!

Lindsay said...

Not us either...you have a mystery to solve! I think that story is so awesome!

austin and cherisse said...

my sister called me up the other night freaking out...then she told me the whole story. So of course I had to check out your blog. That is so crazy. How fun though, I am glad to know that Shalyn will have some family around her again way up there in the northwest. Take care of her...we miss her living in Cali with us.

Charmayne said...

Small world isn't it. That's very cool. :)

Sarah J. said...

That is CRAZY! I'd love to find out I'm related to either of you! :)

TR said...

Wow. what a small world! Who would've thought? And it's probably not a coincidence that she's just down the street!

Balls Family said...

See, just goes to prove we're all related, right. When is your trip or are you already back? I love reading your blog, but need to get better about commenting!

Terra said...

NO WAY! That is such a cool story. What a small world, indeed. :)

The Burtons said...

I love how small the world is!!

Jolley Family said...

That is so awesome. What a cool story. Another great reason to blog. Who would have known! Now you have "family" in the ward.