
i had a rough night last week with screaming, nagging, whining children and lets just say i kinda lost my cool. i quickly got my whits about me and apologized. pditty and i had a nice long conversation. he is a wise boy. here's what he taught me..."its called impulse control mom. i've been learning all about it in school. you think calming thoughts, and then you take 3 deep breaths." lets just say i was HUMBLED!!! he is such a great kid.
here is a great read:
"these, our little ones", by president Hinckley (from the december ensign). i have been reading it every night. i want to POUND it in to my THICK skull! here are some of my favorite quotes:
*It is so obvious that the great good and the terrible evil in the world today are the sweet and the bitter fruits of the rearing of yesterday’s children. As we train a new generation, so will the world be in a few years. If you are worried about the future, then look to the upbringing of your children. Wisely did the writer of Proverbs declare, “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it” (Proverbs 22:6).
*E. T. Sullivan once wrote these interesting words: “When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn’t stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home and of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother’s heart, and she puts it into the baby’s mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies.”1
*President Brigham Young (1801–77) once said: “A child loves the smiles of its mother, but hates her frowns. I tell the mothers not to allow the children to indulge in evils, but at the same time to treat them with mildness.”2 He further stated, “Bring up your children in the love and fear of the Lord; study their dispositions and their temperaments, and deal with them accordingly, never allowing yourself to correct them in the heat of passion; teach them to love you rather than to fear you.”3
*Behold your little ones, and teach them. I need not remind you that your example will do more than anything else in impressing upon their minds a pattern of life. It is always interesting to meet the children of old friends and to find in another generation the ways of their fathers and mothers.
*Nor let us ever forget the need to respect these, our little ones. Under the revealed word of the Lord, we know they are children of God as we are children of God, deserving of that respect which comes of knowledge of that eternal principle. In fact, the Lord made it clear that unless we develop in our own lives that purity, that lack of guile, that innocence of evil, we cannot enter into His presence. Declared He, “Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3).
*Channing Pollock once wrote these interesting and provocative words: “Contemplating the adolescence through which we scorned the wrong, some of us must wish … that we could be born old, and grow younger and cleaner and ever simpler and more innocent, until at last, with the white souls of little children, we lay us down to eternal sleep.”5
*How much more beautiful would be the world and the society in which we live if every father looked upon his children as the most precious of his assets, if he led them by the power of his example in kindness and love, and if in times of stress he blessed them by the authority of the holy priesthood; and if every mother regarded her children as the jewels of her life, as gifts from the God of heaven, who is their Eternal Father, and brought them up with true affection in the wisdom and admonition of the Lord.
7 comments:
Amen with you there Niki. I too have had quite the trying few weeks and appreciate what you've been going through as well. We can all do this together. And...I always know there's room for improvement by me!
Okay, Niki... having you been spying into my household lately?!? Seems someone knows EXACTLY what I need. Muchas Gracias!!! I'll download the article now.
p.s. SUPER cute picture. Gotta love that Rebel!
That must be why Grandmas are so perfect! They've been perfected through years of trial and error, learning and growing! The good Mothers make THE BEST Grandmother and you are a very good Mother!
Thanks for the reminder... I think I'll just come and read your blog every night!
oohhh. i loved reading all this. you are so great and a super example to me. love what e.t. sullivan wrote. awesome.
Impulse controll!?! Where does his vocabulary come from? Amazing the things our kids teach us in such an innocent manner. I LOVED the talk by Pres. Hinkcley also and loved it again reading it on your blog. Such a great message that I seem to forget when life gets chaotic! :) P.S. Where do you get such cute backgrounds? Email me when you get minute - terradaniel@hotmail.com
I too understand, this and if and only if you have a trying child, could you understand, how much patience you need. Ethan's new fav phrase "You're ruining my life" I can only say every time I don't lose my cool I better be getting a lot of blessings in heaven. Thanks for the great reminders. I miss you!
Post a Comment