I realized that there is not ANYTHING that I do REALLY well. I dabble in a lot of things...home decor, sewing, scrapbooking, blogging, gardening, playing the piano, drawing, singing, snow skiing, organizing, shopping (wait...no, I'm SUPER good at that), cooking (a NEW world for me for those of you that know me well)...but I do them all FAIR at best. (SERIOUSLY...if it weren't so late, or I mean early, I would take a picture of this thing to prove it.) It's SUPER frustrating. But folks--I'm not fishing, so please NO courtesy compliments. I'm not BAD at these things either. Its just interesting to me. A lot of people REALLY find their niche...and some, like me, don't. But that's OKAY, because "I'm GOOD ENOUGH, I'm SMART ENOUGH..and DOGGONIT, PEOPLE LIKE ME!!!" I'm serious! They like you too! Don't believe me? WATCH THE VIDEO in the post below! Are YOU really good at something? Or just kinda good at lots of things?
Thursday, October 18, 2007
Mediocre...and that's OKAY!
So after staying up until 1:30 a.m. to sew what was SUPPOSED to be a simple crayon roll (see picture)
I realized that there is not ANYTHING that I do REALLY well. I dabble in a lot of things...home decor, sewing, scrapbooking, blogging, gardening, playing the piano, drawing, singing, snow skiing, organizing, shopping (wait...no, I'm SUPER good at that), cooking (a NEW world for me for those of you that know me well)...but I do them all FAIR at best. (SERIOUSLY...if it weren't so late, or I mean early, I would take a picture of this thing to prove it.) It's SUPER frustrating. But folks--I'm not fishing, so please NO courtesy compliments. I'm not BAD at these things either. Its just interesting to me. A lot of people REALLY find their niche...and some, like me, don't. But that's OKAY, because "I'm GOOD ENOUGH, I'm SMART ENOUGH..and DOGGONIT, PEOPLE LIKE ME!!!" I'm serious! They like you too! Don't believe me? WATCH THE VIDEO in the post below! Are YOU really good at something? Or just kinda good at lots of things?
I realized that there is not ANYTHING that I do REALLY well. I dabble in a lot of things...home decor, sewing, scrapbooking, blogging, gardening, playing the piano, drawing, singing, snow skiing, organizing, shopping (wait...no, I'm SUPER good at that), cooking (a NEW world for me for those of you that know me well)...but I do them all FAIR at best. (SERIOUSLY...if it weren't so late, or I mean early, I would take a picture of this thing to prove it.) It's SUPER frustrating. But folks--I'm not fishing, so please NO courtesy compliments. I'm not BAD at these things either. Its just interesting to me. A lot of people REALLY find their niche...and some, like me, don't. But that's OKAY, because "I'm GOOD ENOUGH, I'm SMART ENOUGH..and DOGGONIT, PEOPLE LIKE ME!!!" I'm serious! They like you too! Don't believe me? WATCH THE VIDEO in the post below! Are YOU really good at something? Or just kinda good at lots of things?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
IMHO, You are better than most people at a lot of things. You just expect perfection and won't settle for anything less so you often feel like you are falling short on things. Most people would do ok and be happy. Unfortunately, Marisa and I feel that we are in the same boat as you and that is the source of most of our frustrations.
you are hilarious. that is one more thing you are good at. my favorite word here...dabble. i dabble in scrapbooking, like once every 3 years. i do work in the garden. i play volleyball really well..{well i think so, but compared to the world, maybe not} i love to shop too. i am really good at finding deals. and i play games really well. like i beat brandon in sorry, yahtzee, rummikub, or uno, or pretty much any game we play. oh, and battleship, and boggle, and clue. somtimes. now that is one, he beats me at now and then.
so see, i have skills. and by the way, i love your crayon roll. that is way cute, and would go good gifties. you should sell them. you would be good at that too. because i could be your first customer. see you already sold one, without even trying. love ya!
Well...I'm right there with you. I am mediocre at a lot of things as well. And...I do think you are much better than you give yourself credit for. I know you weren't fishing, but I thought I'd "reel you in." (Okay...nerdy joke.) BTW...cute crayon roll!
That's too bad because I was just thinking that I was THE BEST at EVERYTHING I do. TOTALLY KIDDING!! It actually pains be to joke like that because nothing could be farther (further?) from the truth. I don't even confess or share what I do because it's not "the best". I envy people who are so comfortable in their own skin that they don't think about this kind of stuff. Great lead into my RS lesson for Sunday.... :)
p.s. I think you're pretty amazing! :)
Does your beating me in an arm wrestling contest count? Not a courtesy comment sweets - but the only thing that you're not great at is giving yourself the credit you deserve! Stop selling yourself short - you're GREAT at a lot of things! ily
First of all, you are the best decorator I know, and super good at organizing, your plants are all so healthy and your kids are always dressed so cute. You have TONS of talents and NO ONE can be the best at everything... although I totally know how you feel. The one thing you're really not good at is avoiding perfectionism (but you're doing better!) So just think of it as only ONE thing to work on!
Post a Comment